Please advise

Old 11-29-2021, 10:31 PM
GMJ

Default Please advise

Hi all! I’m an enthusiastic beginner, and am loving the whole learning process.
if I can figure out how to post a picture, I’d love to pick your collective brains as to how to FMQ quilt my latest quilt, a gift for my 2-year-old grandson. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5C1AF7B4-4691-48F4-BC34-B978D0A2BDEA.jpeg
Views:	446
Size:	502.7 KB
ID:	636619  
Old 11-29-2021, 11:13 PM

your quilt is amazing. sure this will be loved.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:28 AM

you did a great job beautiful
Old 11-30-2021, 04:46 AM

Beautiful quilt! A walking foot is the surest way for even stitches. But the easiest FMQ for me is a loop de loop. Since threads cross over each other intentionally, if I get caught in a corner, I just curve my way out. Practice first on placemat size panels.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

Sweet top! If you are confident in your FMQ skills, I would outline quilt the center panel and add details in the big spots like fur in the bears. I would stitch in the ditch the borders and pieced blocks. I might do wood grain in the green background between the pieced blocks.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:22 AM

No suggestions on quilting, but I love your quilt! That panel is so cute. And welcome to the board.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:30 AM

I wanted to say hi, I'm a bit south of you in the Seattle region. Also a big grats for getting the picture posted! It took me months when I first joined

I freely admit to being quilting design challenged and even more so with panels. I see what other quilters can do to enhance tops, but I generally lack the vision. I'm improving my skills and my equipment but I can only go so far in that direction -- I still have quite a far way to go, however.

What I've been learning, especially with "use" quilts (those that will be washed and such) is sometimes we can let the design or fabrics carry the quilt and sometimes I just have to concentrate on quality but nondescript quilting down. A simple meander with a neutral thread will be loved by the grandson just fine.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:26 PM

Beautiful quilt.
Old 12-01-2021, 05:21 AM

This is a lovely panel and your Bear's Paws blocks are perfect around the panel. Well done. As far as the quilting I would make swirls that do not cross over one another (if possible. I still make a mistake or two there). They don't have to be to close together. Maybe 1-2" apart. Go easy your new and the important thing is to have fun.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:37 AM
GMJ

Thank you for your ideas! I think I will try my hand at outlining the bears as you suggest. I’ll practice a lot before I take the plunge!