Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Yicks!  Holiday baking time 2021 >

Yicks! Holiday baking time 2021

Yicks! Holiday baking time 2021

Old 11-29-2021, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

My Daughter and I make homemade cinnamon rolls. I mix and knead the dough, melt margarine, mix cinnamon and sugar.
My Mom use to make them but not for Christmas Eve.

I use to make cookies years ago when our kids were still home.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:55 PM

I was a bank employee many years & December was extra busy because all farm loans were renewed so we worked long days. Our children got meat, cheese, crackers, chips & dips as special treats and they were happy.
I still do the above and I only make 3 kinds of cookies. Never more. Cut out sugar cookies, something new and something I’ve made in the past, that’s it. I add foil wrapped candies to make the tray look festive.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:19 AM

Chex Mix heads the list at our house. If I don't bake anything else at all, the family is happy with it. I do make molasses cookies and sometimes a bar of some kind. I love receiving cookies from neighbors, though, especially Pizelles.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:45 AM

We've simplified over the years but my family always expects frosted sugar cookies, cardamom snaps, peppermint bark and sugared pecans.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:35 AM

I wasn't going to bake any cookies this year, but my son has been having a difficult time, so I made him a batch of sugar cookies that I pressed out with a cookie press, baked and sprinkled with powdered sugar. He loved them! That's probably about it for my cookie making this season.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:18 PM

I made thirty pounds of my grandma's dark Christmas fruitcake (sold most of it - only because I asked on FB if anyone would like to buy some since it's hard to get a proper mix of fruit in smaller batches - then everyone ordered twice as much as I figured!). Making carrot pudding right now and planning on shortbread. Maybe cinnamon rolls or Irish fruit bread. Only myself here so I have to be very careful.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:05 PM

Last year, a friend gave me a bag of shortbread like cookies with chopped crystalized ginger in them. They were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! She was kind enough to share the recipe and that is what I am planning to make and give to the neighbours this year (with a nice amount left for me of course!!)

Other than that, Peppernuts are a family tradition and it seems I am the only one who has the time to go through all the steps required.

I am thinking I would like to make some Matrimonial cake (date squares for all you non Canadian prairie folk) because I love it and it has been a very long 20 months without the excuse that I need to make treats for my sewing group.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:42 AM
DJ

At one time I made one batch of many different cookies and would make cookie plates to share with the neighbors. Even with sharing them, we still ended up many more cookies than DH and I could/should eat, since DDs have moved to other states and we usually visit them for Christmas rather than them coming home. So Christmas cookie baking has more or less gone by the wayside. This year DH will make the Chex Party Mix which we will share with neighbors. Since I miss many of our favorite Christmas cookies, I will make a batch at other times of the year ... why only for Christmas?

Our favorites:

Oreo balls
Peanutbutter balls
Homesteaders
Double chocolate brownies
Pistachio cookies
Salted peanut chews
Russian teacakes
Coconut macaroons
Christmas rocks
Old 12-09-2021, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

This year I plan on breaking out the Brown Bag cookie molds and making the spice cookies. I always make a sugar cookie and chocolate mint ones. I make bourbon balls, fudge and the seven layer bars. A chocolate cake from scratch is christmas day desert. I gave my niece my spritz gun. She is becoming quite the cook and baker at 13.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:07 AM

Our youngest daughter and I bake cookies and we give away 80% of them. Saturday is our baking day. Everything gathered except will pick up fresh eggs tomorrow. Husband is on cleanup duty and son-in-law is on the frosting detail… we make a good day of it and every year we say…” we are not making as many as last year”. We shall see.
best wish to all on boards. 😊