Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Poltergeist? >

Poltergeist?

Poltergeist?

Old 12-07-2021, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

Remembering from way back on the QB ... same thing happened to someone else.

It turned out, it was lint, dust and gunk that had got into the foot pedal.
A good cleaning made the difference.
Depending on the style of yours, you may be able to clean it yourself. Maybe not.

Regardless, you have a new foot pedal which will answer the foot pedal question!

Good Luck!
Old 12-07-2021, 09:22 AM
Banned

Yes, my Berninas have done that. I figure it's a software glitch, so I just unplug it for a minute of so.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:41 AM

I would suggest unplugging it when not in use too! Electrical items are too touchy at times for me. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:49 AM

Thanks everyone. I may just drag the Pfaff out and try her again. I haven't had problems with any other of my computerized machines and they have been plugged into my outlets and surge protectors. My house is older but I had some new grounded wiring installed and also use those outlets for my machines. I haven't thought of the foot pedal. Will try checking that out. I do believe this machine has a start stop button but I think I tried using that but did not unplug the foot pedal when I had the problem. A think to try if it does that again. I would like to be able to gift this machine to somebody as I don't need it as I now have three others.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:54 AM

I had one machine that would sew by itself, it too was a computerized machine. I found it was long over due for a tune up. I spent the money and now it doesn't do that.
Old 12-07-2021, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Remembering from way back on the QB ... same thing happened to someone else.

It turned out, it was lint, dust and gunk that had got into the foot pedal. A good cleaning made the difference.
I think that was my friend Cindi. She took her foot apart and cleaned out all the gunk. A lot of it was hair. After that, her machine worked perfectly.
Old 12-07-2021, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I think that was my friend Cindi. She took her foot apart and cleaned out all the gunk. A lot of it was hair. After that, her machine worked perfectly.
Peckish ... aaah yes, indeed, it could have been Cindi!
Hair and I think fuzz from a carpet too? Made us all think!
Hope Cindi is well ... please tell her she is missed, here and in your joint blog.

Old 12-07-2021, 03:31 PM

When a sewing machine starts sewing by itself, the culprit is usually a small lever inside the foot control that needs to be bent just a little.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:00 PM

I would think that your machine should still be covered by the warranty, so I'd keep asking to have it corrected or replaced. Many years ago, I had an HP computer that would turn itself on and off and currently have a Kitchen Aid dishwasher that does the same thing, and both techs found the same cause--it comes from the circuit board. The authorized dealer for the dishwasher has replaced the circuit board twice under warranty and fully acknowledge there is a problem, but until the manufacturer officially issues a recall, even if every unit sold has the same problem, you're on your own if it's out of warranty.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:07 PM

My Janome did this very thing. Fortunately, when I took it to the repair shop & was telling them about it, it actually started sewing on it's own. It was a faulty foot pedal & a new one solved the problem.