Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 12-06-2021, 04:06 PM

You’re welcome happylab. I’m glad it helps. Finding this method kept Frolic from the bin!
Old 12-06-2021, 06:55 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I got all the lines drawn while watching tv. I am already taking credit for the University of Michigan football win over Ohio State because I got my "Aunt Debbie Bleeds Blue" quilt to her in time for the big game. Yesterday, I was drawing lines on some of the same yellow fabrics during the Michigan/Iowa game -- and Blue won again and I am taking credit for lucky yellow fabric!!.
But was the yellow maize (Michigan Maize and blue) or gold (Iowa gold and black).
Old 12-07-2021, 06:18 AM

Oh it was definitely my Michigan Maize that made the change for this season!!

I wasn't quite as productive as I hoped but I'll be done as of today -- still with days to spare. I have the half of the geese with white on the left done (that is, both white and yellow are on). I have all the yellows on the other half with white on the right. Using the rectangle/2 squares method as opposed to my usual cut large technique means I won't have the trimming down for group, it is often hard for me to find things to bring on Tuesdays. So this morning I'll sew the white squares on half the pieces and leave them pinned and connected by the chain stitches. At group, I'll take out the pins and trim the excess and then pin the remaining squares on the final pieces.

I'm glad I stopped myself and looked at some of my pinks/yellows under the ott light. While I'm still concerned about going too dark, a couple of the pinks I really wanted to use were just too light. As it is, some of my combinations of pink/yellow are very close in value and would fail the black and white photo test for contrast but are clearly pink/yellow for the color contrast.

Judging by the amount of yellow used, I'd expect a similar step in the future with either geese or HST, but probably making sets. But that is pure conjecture... I'll just have to keep on working the clues to find out.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:09 AM

Hi everyone, love seeing all the finished units! Work got crazy for me in a hurry, so I decided to just save clues and not start until it calms down about the first of the year. Usually it is such a struggle to keep pace that I end up not enjoying the first few weeks anyway. By the time I am about to get started I should be able to economize on time with cutting and strip piecing multiple clues at once.

Until then, I'm lurking in the background and cheering you all on!
Old 12-07-2021, 03:08 PM

I was able to finish Clue 2 today! So far, so good.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:05 PM

I just finished the secon clue!
Old 12-08-2021, 04:07 AM

Wow, I am loving everyones pinks and yellows! You all seem to be breezing through all of these geese, I am looking forward to seeing what this weeks clue is.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:54 PM

Default learning a lot

I always dreaded doing flying geese as they tend to be wonky. This time I used Bonnie's mentioned method to cut a 5.25 sq. in both diagonals for the pink and I cut 3" sq. once diagonally for wings. This allowed me to use smaller scraps which was great to use up. I never knew you could make 4 at a time until I read the above mentioned tutorial and had already finished them. My real discovery though was using Deb Tucker's Wing trimmer which totally removed my wonkyness fear. I've used it for the first time and for me it was a game changer. Each of Bonnie"s patterns teaches or improves my skill level and makes me more confident.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

To my utter amazement I finished the geese! A first for me
Old 12-08-2021, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
To my utter amazement I finished the geese! A first for me
Good for you Susie! I am right behind you, still have about 50 of them I have to square up. I have the Wing Clipper ruler so that really helps me.