Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps? >

Scraps?

Scraps?

Old 12-09-2021, 10:15 PM
Power Poster

I second NZQuilter's suggestion to check out Quilted Twins. Becky Tillman Petersen has generously shared her scrappy quilt patterns-- tons of them! They are free, but you can leave a donation if you want to thank her. I have made several of these patterns, and have many more on my bucket list. You owe it to yourself to check these patterns out!

https://www.quiltedtwins.com/free-patterns.htm

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 12-09-2021 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:00 AM

Smile

In reading this, it brought back a very pleasant memory.

For starters, I only save scraps that are at least 2.5" or larger and I cut them into either a strip or a square, or rectangle, depending on the size of the scrap left over.

As for my memory remembrance, when I was a child I remember playing with my mother's doll that her grandmother, my great grandmother made her. She had made the doll out of left over scraps from her quilts/dresses etc. She made different size yo yo's out of the fabric and strung them together through the center with heavy string to make the legs, arms, and body and then made a doll head out of muslin (stuffing it with of course) as well as her hands and feet. I can remember going through the different yo yo's looking to see the different fabrics. The different designs and colors fascinated me. The doll is long gone, unfortunately, but in remembering this, I think this is going to be my next project with my smaller scraps, in making a small doll for a smile on my shelf in my craft room.

thanks! I hadn't thought of her (the doll) in years and the pleasure I got in playing with her.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:35 AM

Facebook has a group called, "Scrap Quilt Enthusiasts," which will offer tons of ideas. There are several other scrap quilting groups there, too. There used to be a thread here called something like "Scrap Quilt Show."
Old 12-10-2021, 08:31 AM

I too am a fan of string quilts. I have made at least 20 lap size and 3 king size in the last 3 years.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:56 AM

Iceblossom, First I always read your posts, and after 50+ years of sewing you still teach me good stuff. I think sashing is the answer to making a scrappy quilt look organized and cohesive. Thank you for that info and for the illustrations. FYI, I taught all levels of sewing at the college level, and still love learning something new.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:02 AM

Thanks for everyones input, I to like to make scrap quilts and I love the quilt iceblossom showed us in this thread.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:30 PM

I wish I could catch the scrap bug. My scraps get set aside in a ever growing pile. I've found that I just don't have the patience for small squares, scraps, pieces, unless I'm appliqueing. I don't ever see myself doing a scrappy quilt. I do marvel at those that can!
Old 12-10-2021, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

Sort them in color families and use them in any pattern or blocks. Lets say a quilt is red, white and blue, just cut the squares, triangles or blocks out of the color family and use them.
Old 12-10-2021, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
I wish I could catch the scrap bug. My scraps get set aside in a ever growing pile. I've found that I just don't have the patience for small squares, scraps, pieces, unless I'm appliqueing. I don't ever see myself doing a scrappy quilt. I do marvel at those that can!
I'm with you! I love scrappy quilts but I have no patience with scraps! That may change though. I get so inspired by everyone on the board.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:03 AM

I recently saw this you tube video and am in the process of using some Christmas fabric scraps to make one......It is from Shabby Fabrics for a 3D fabric snowflake. Just got the scraps backed with heat and bond and cut into squares.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_s2uRSJ1Ls&t=99s