Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help >

need help

need help

Old 12-22-2021, 11:25 AM

Question need help

I did a quilt with applique used steam and seam 2 got quilt quilted but did not quilt applique so I put on binding washed quilt on gentle cycle the applique is coming loose and fabric is fraying now what can I do to fix it.
Old 12-22-2021, 11:46 AM

I don't know how big your project is nor how intricate the applique is. Can you trim the frayed edges? Then use school glue to hold them in place and then edge stitch or satin stitch around the edges to keep them in place and if the appliques are large, maybe do some addtition quilting in the appplique? If this is a wall hanging, or a table topper, I think it would look OK. If it is a quilt, the back may look a bit strange. How much other quilting have you already done?
I always do some edge stitching around my applique if it is raw edge, adhesives really don't hold well if the piece is going to be washed in my experience.
Old 12-22-2021, 11:49 AM

I hope other people can give you better suggestions, but there are products like Fray Stop or Seam Sealer that can be a help if the fabric is raveling. Then most likely you would need to go over the edges with a machine zig zag stitch to keep everything held down or a hand buttonhole or similar stitch. Sometimes it is easier to do by hand, even if that is my usual last choice. You can go neutral or even clear nylon thread -- watch for heat stability/ironing instructions if going clear.

Sometimes our projects just do not go as planned or visualized. Sometimes what seem like huge faults to us go un-noticed by the recipients, or sometimes they point out things we didn't even see... bah humbug to those!
Old 12-22-2021, 02:48 PM

thanks for your help I did trim some of the frayed off then like you said go around it with stitching it does not look too terrible I will never do applique on a quilt again. It does look a little different on the back
Old 12-22-2021, 02:54 PM
mkc

If it's raw edge applique, just Steam a Seam isn't enough - it's recommended to quilt/stitch just inside the edge of the applique pieces if you plan to wash the quilt at all. That helps ensure it doesn't come loose in the future and restricts the amount of fraying to the fabric between the stitch line and the edge of the appliqued pieces
Old 12-22-2021, 03:17 PM

Do not shy away from applique in the future, it can be a nice addition. Just do some edge stitching directly on the quilt top or block first. I'm glad you at least found a moderately satisfactory fix for this one.
Old 12-22-2021, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

Did you stitch your appliqué pieces down after fusing? The fusible is just to hold them in place while you stitch your appliqué. Some people use a satin stitch, some a small zigzag, some a blanket stitch and some use a straight stitch ( which does give you raw edges that fray a little bit. If your quilt is one that will be used and laundered ( not a wall hanging) the appliqué has to be sewn on.
Old 12-22-2021, 05:40 PM

Check out some technique with chenille. The other option is to add bias tape around the applique and make the shape like stain glass.
Old 12-24-2021, 11:21 AM

I did do some jigjag around the applique quess not good enough
Old 12-24-2021, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
I did do some jigjag around the applique quess not good enough
When I do raw edge applique I have several methods.
1. Expect it to ravel and make that part of the design. No adhesive. Then I stitch it down with straight stitch 3/8 inch inside.
2. Straight stitch it down, at least 1/8 inch inside, then do decorative stitching 6mm wide (usually reverse blanket stitch) to make sure it doesn't ravel. May or may not use adhesive.