Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 66 - needle goes up/down -winding a bobbin >

Singer 66 - needle goes up/down -winding a bobbin

Singer 66 - needle goes up/down -winding a bobbin

Old 11-17-2021, 10:26 AM

Default Singer 66 - needle goes up/down -winding a bobbin

I have my Singer 66 in a treadle cleaned up. I finally got the bobbin winder adjusted correctly so that it works. I had to make slight adjustments to the treadle belt, the wheel/pedal now move very easily, sewing is very smooth. I took the knob with the set screw off of the hand wheel, and cleaned the hand wheel and shaft. Prior to that last step, when I loosened that knob to wind a bobbin, the needle usually quit going up and down. Sometimes it went up and down a few times, but either stopped on it's own (or putting down the presser foot stopped it).

Since really cleaning the hand wheel, the needle now moves up and down when winding a bobbin. The set screw is in correctly. In particular I really scrubbed the back of the hand wheel when I took it off, it had a build up of old oil/dirt. I used a brush and alcohol.

Is there anything else I should try to keep the needle from going up and down? I make sure to keep the presser foot up so there is no damage there.

I just received a replacement presser foot bar (so I can use side clamping feet). That will be my next job! I also need to find the little thread holder that goes above the needle (last wire thread goes through before threading). Mine is missing.
Old 11-17-2021, 03:12 PM

I remove the hand wheel completely and use a polishing grit sandpaper on the inside of the hub and on the shaft onto which the hand wheel hub slides. This removes grit and grime. Put a drop of oil on the shaft before reinstalling the hand wheel, give it a spin and then reassemble.

Also the bobbin tire can be too tight against the hand wheel, Surprisingly this can put enough pressure against the main shaft and turn the machine even though you have the clutch knob loosened.

If you have the screw for needle thread guide you can bend a new one from a paper clip.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:16 PM

I have put my finger on the take up lever - to stop it from moving while winding the bobbin, provided everything is cleaned and oiled. At the end of the video seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ssi_PxEk3M which is a video about the 201 he tells about doing that if the needle is still moving while winding a bobbin. He also did a video at http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2012/06/ho...bbed-stop.html about the 66 and like machines which shows how to replace the stop motion clamp washer. It seems like I have been able to screw the small screw in, without hitting the tab. There are four ways to put the stop motion clamp washer on and only one right way.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 11-18-2021, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
I remove the hand wheel completely and use a polishing grit sandpaper on the inside of the hub and on the shaft onto which the hand wheel hub slides. This removes grit and grime. Put a drop of oil on the shaft before reinstalling the hand wheel, give it a spin and then reassemble.

Also the bobbin tire can be too tight against the hand wheel, Surprisingly this can put enough pressure against the main shaft and turn the machine even though you have the clutch knob loosened.

If you have the screw for needle thread guide you can bend a new one from a paper clip.
Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I have put my finger on the take up lever - to stop it from moving while winding the bobbin, provided everything is cleaned and oiled. At the end of the video seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ssi_PxEk3M which is a video about the 201 he tells about doing that if the needle is still moving while winding a bobbin. He also did a video at http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2012/06/ho...bbed-stop.html about the 66 and like machines which shows how to replace the stop motion clamp washer. It seems like I have been able to screw the small screw in, without hitting the tab. There are four ways to put the stop motion clamp washer on and only one right way.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
JoeJr - I will look at the hand wheel again. I did clean it really well (machine runs very smoothly now, there was definitely a difference after I took it off to clean). Perhaps I missed something. I suspect my issue might be having the bobbin tire adjusted too tightly against the hand wheel. I will definitely look at that, thank you for that tip! I don't think I added a drop of oil to the shaft. I will do that as well.

Also appreciate the tip on using a paperclip!! I would have never thought of that. I don't think I have the screw for the needle thread guide, but I'll admit I haven't looked close (maybe it is there and the wire guide broke off).

Janey - thank you for the 2 videos, I have watched both. I am going to examine my hand wheel and shaft again, make sure I didn't miss any old oil, etc. I am pretty sure I have my stop motion clamp washer in correctly. The 2 tabs are facing away from the machine. At that point there is only 1 position where the set screw will screw in all the way. 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time every time I put the washer back on. I think I will mark the shaft and washer the next time I pull it off so I move my odds to 100% when putting it back together! On the plus side, after the cleaning and adjusting I've done so far (including tightening the belt a bit more) the machine runs exceptionally smooth.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:32 AM

Here's what I'm talking about on the hand wheel, the inside is what I clean, with the sandpaper grit in the picture. Six hundred grit sandpaper is very, very fine. I clean the shaft with the same thing.

Also pictured is a paperclip thread guide on a Singer 127, I wrapped the paperclip piece around a larger screwdriver shaft to round it, and used a needle nose pliers to bend a small loop for the screw. Message me if you don't have the screw.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Inked20211118_130854_LI.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	636506   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211118_130652.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	857.4 KB
ID:	636507  
Old 11-18-2021, 03:17 PM

Here's what I'm talking about on the hand wheel, the inside is what I clean, with the sandpaper grit in the picture. Six hundred grit sandpaper is very, very fine. I clean the shaft with the same thing.

Also pictured is a paperclip thread guide on a Singer 127, I wrapped the paperclip piece around a larger screwdriver shaft to round it, and used a needle nose pliers to bend a small loop for the screw. Message me if you don't have the screw.
I believe I have 600 grit at home, I will take a look and run along the areas you have indicated. I don't appear to have that screw. I'll message you - thank you!

Name:	20211118_141245(1).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	472.2 KB
ID:	636514  
Old 11-18-2021, 05:58 PM

I've been thinking and I'm not positive I used a paper clip on that 127. I know I've done it on 2-3 machines but I just can't remember anymore, there have been too many machines to keep them all straight in my mind anymore.
Old 12-24-2021, 04:03 AM

Here's a picture of the thread guide in place, the small screw goes through the loop on the guide and then into the hole on the needle bar housing.

Name:	20211223_151113.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	636950  
Old 12-25-2021, 12:37 PM

Here's a picture of the thread guide in place, the small screw goes through the loop on the guide and then into the hole on the needle bar housing.
Thank you JoeJr! I was fiddling around with the screw with it turned that way, but kept dropping the screw. I'll give it another whirl.

Dawn
Old 12-26-2021, 07:50 AM

I have a very difficult time manipulating these tiny parts. A small magnetized screwdriver might be helpful.