Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing table/cabinet >

Sewing table/cabinet

Sewing table/cabinet

Old 12-25-2021, 07:21 PM

Default Sewing table/cabinet

I am looking for a sewing table or sewing cabinet but I can't find one that I really like. I would like one that a large sewing maching is on the right side with an area on the left for my iron and ironing pad. I don't want one that is L shaped due to the limited space in the room. I am not interested in the drop for the machine but they all seem to have that.
What do you have that you really like? Where should I begin to look?
Thank you all in advance for your help.
Old 12-25-2021, 07:34 PM

For me, the very best feature of my table is the machine drop feature. It is so much easier to sew when there is an extended space that is the same level as the presser foot. I have a small table on my left side that holds a small ironing surface. To iron a bigger piece, I go to my ironing board which keeps me moving around, which is good.
Old 12-26-2021, 02:48 AM
Banned

I agree with Irish. The best feature is the machine drop that puts the machine even with the table top. You can buy a custom fit insert that fits around your machine so it's a continuous hard surface. (I get mine from Sew and Vac Direct.)
When I retired ten years ago, I bought myself the Horn Quilter's Dream cabinet. It has been the perfect table for me. The machine is on the right, with an fold down extension for added space. Most of the cabinet top is to the left and back to support the bulk of the quilt. There is also a drawer on the left and it comes with a separate piece that fits on top of the drawer for additional space. I use this as an ironing surface when needed.
Why don't you like the drop in feature?
Old 12-26-2021, 03:45 AM

I have to agree with Irish and PurplePansies about how handy the drop down is, especially when working on larger quilts it is nice to work on a flush surface. I have an older model Koala cabinet built by Arrow and you don’t have to use the drop down feature. If I am using my embroidery module, I just spring the tabletop back up into place and it is flush with the rest of the cabinet.
Old 12-26-2021, 04:59 AM

Like everyone else has already said, the drop in feature is a total game game changer for sewing. If you don’t want that feature, then the world of tables and desks are your oyster since you can place your sewing machine where ever it best suits you. Ikea has great options, thrift stores, estate sales, yard sales etc are great places to search for that perfect table. Sometimes as quilters we have to cobble together pieces that work for our personal preferences. Also, don’t forget if you can find a craftsman or cabinet maker I am sure they would be happy to work with you on your perfect table.
Old 12-26-2021, 05:09 AM

Going to agree wirh everyone else, the drop down feature is a game changer when it comes to large quilts and I'll use a recent experience as an example.

I was quilting two small projects, one that was 11 x 22 in and another that was 14 x 50 in. I was using my machine that waa sitting on my cabinet and no matter how many times I adjusted myself and my chair, I was scrunched up. I kept tensing my shoulders and my arms, I had to fight both projects in and out of position and I paid a heavy price for it for a couple of days. On top of that, the quality of my quilting suffered, it was downright hideous and I'm glad they were for me and not for someone else. I'll have to remake them again at some point just because I can't stand the look of them, but they are serving a purpose right now.

I have since learned my lesson and will be using my other machine that is dropped down in my cabinet for my quilting. Your posture will be better, which means you'll be able to concentrate on your quilting and if you're comfortable, your stitching will benefit greatly. Having the right angle of sight makes all the difference in the world.
Old 12-26-2021, 06:10 AM

I bought a quilter's dream horn cabinet years ago. Features I love about it. Yep, I am with the rest, I love the air-lift drop down feature. With just a little pressure, I can have my machine up on top to use as a free-arm, level with the table which makes it so much better for piecing and also any type of quilting, and down concealed in the cabinet when not being used. My cabinet has a good amount of space to the left for those bigger projects, it also has a large leaf in the back that can be either up or down and I love all the space for when I am attacking all the borders, quilting. It is so much easier to manage the fabric. I also have a small drawer to the left, that I can pull out and I use the wooden insert for my cabinet that covers the hole for my machine when not in use, to further support the fabric to the left of me. Now the newer cabinets have special design that fits over the drawer which is much nicer but a new one is not in my budget. I have an old library table positioned to my right which I use to keep more stuff I use. I also have an office chair on wells and an additional six drawer cabinet that slips under my sewing cabinet on the left for more storage. I did however, not measure the cabinet when I got it until I got home with it and found I could not maneuver it into my spare bedroom. So, my sewing cabinet resides in my dining room, but when I fold up the back shelf and lower the machine and place a table clothe on the whole thing, it works nicely as a serving table. My ironing board is set up in the adjacent kitchen as I find it a good idea to get up and move around a bit.
Old 12-26-2021, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

I have the Arrow largest cabinet. It folds up to be desk size with machine in it. Hydraulic lift for the machine. Mine is the Kangaroo Joey original. Now they are Kangaroo Joey II. The difference is the fold out on the right. I don't have that. Check out all the different tables, they are really nice. https://arrowsewing.com/shop/kangaro...ewing-cabinet/
Old 12-26-2021, 05:07 PM

Thank you so much for the suggestions and your explanations about the drop. A few months ago even after giving him every reason not to, my husband purchased a Baby Lock Solaris II as an early Christmas present. I am so very careful with it and was afraid that the movement of the machine with the drop might damage it. I have never had an expensive machine. Now after reading all your helpful suggestions and reasons for the drop, I think I am changing my mind.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:15 AM

Default Sewing table/cabinet

No drop table over here, just because I'm not willing to spend on it. I love my folks' antique maple kitchen table as my sewing table. It has leaves that easily disappear under the ends of the table, but I just leave them up. It's not as high as a regular kitchen table, so maybe that's why it works for me. And I put my ironing board (with a home-made big board) set at a 90 degree at the left side, with height the same as my table. I have a oomfortable office chair that I can raise or lower. Works like a charm for me.