Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 12-27-2021, 09:31 AM

Iceblossom - as I recall, you're in the Seattle area. My son just moved to Seattle last month, although he is back here in northern New York for the holidays, and was commenting on you guys having more snow than us. As he is not really a snow fan, he's hoping it melts before he returns home.

I'm so excited to have the week off, and not a whole lot to do, so I spent the morning with Clue 5. I replaced the pinks with oranges, so I had orange all over my sewing and cutting tables. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed that part of the orange fabric was moving, and boy did that take me by surprise. I hadn't been at it long enough for my eyes to start going batty, so I thought that I must be hallucinating or something. But then I looked closer and saw a lady bug crawling on the orange fabric. Not sure that is a good omen or a bad, but I'd prefer to take that as a good sign for the coming year.

Mumto2 - love the blue!
Old 12-27-2021, 11:31 AM

yahhh! I am started on clue 1, I have a new thought! I think my goal for the end of the clues is just to have all the cutting done! Then I can use this mystery as a leader ender project for the rest of the year. That is totally doable I think!
Old 12-27-2021, 11:39 AM

I love the new clue! I recall a helpful hint Bonnie had in the Ringo Lake year, when we also added a triangle to a wing unit. She said to match up the tops (the points) of the two pieces, rather than the bottoms. That way, any shortage in the combined unit will be camouflaged in the seam allowance.

Originally Posted by Mumto2 View Post
I still need to trim but I have all the clue 4 blocks done. Yay! I am ready for clue 5. How many clues can we expect? My memory says things will ramp up and we should be done soon. I have to say what I have done doesn’t seem all that substantial and I have all the required blocks done.
The reveal used to come reliably on New Year's Day, but that was when Bonnie was traveling more (before she started Quiltville Inn). She liked to finish up the mystery because she had so much going on at the beginning of the year (usually a trip abroad). Now Bonnie can be more relaxed about wrapping up the mystery, and if I recall correctly, the last two mysteries didn't finish on New Year's day? I think the funnest year was Allietare, when she revealed the quilt on New Year's Day Italian time (as it was based on her trip to Italy). I remember that I just happened to go to the Quiltville page and a new picture was up at the top, and I thought, 'Hey, we're making a quilt with gray, red and gold, too.' Then it dawned on me that I was looking at the reveal photo, ha ha!

If anyone has speculations about the quilt that you're busting to talk about, you are welcome to pm me about it, as I don't mind at all hearing what people's ideas are (I am never able to figure it out myself).

I may start pressing my fabrics today, as I'm just about over this cold. I haven't decided what to use as my neutrals. I've seen some pretty photos using gray, but I notice when gray-scaling my fabrics that my pinks, yellows and aqua are very similar in value, and a gray would be another medium value. Whites do seem to be the best choice for that reason. Happy sewing everyone!

Old 12-27-2021, 11:51 AM

Sewingpup, I like your plan. I’m still finishing up on my BHMQ 2020 (last years). I’m using the steps in part 7 as leader enders for this years mystery. I have several hours to sew today, so going to play catch up and tomorrow start part 5.

To answer a question asked earlier. Yes BH had 7 parts last year. Part 7 was hugh. She could easily had made 2 or 3 more parts. But that’s part of the mystery, you never know when she will decide to end and give us numerous steps in the last part. She has done this several times over the years.

Oh well, I have 2/3 more sub parts to part 4 to cut, and square all of part 1 so I can do part 3 and then do part 5. Part 2 is 1/2 way done, only need to iron the yellows and add the background parts. Over 1/2 way done on those. Yea. I’m really liking the colors in this mystery, and I’m one of those people who do not care for pink. So this will be given to a niece who likes pink.

happy sewing everyone.
Old 12-27-2021, 01:21 PM

I remember that happylab. It did end quick last year. I've been cutting clue 5 today. I like pink but I hope this is it. It's looking pretty girly right now and I'm surrounded by boys. Ready for some other colors.
Old 12-27-2021, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

joe'smom- thanks for that tip. I bought the pattern (On Ringo Lake) last year and would like to make it hopefully this year. Also will help us with this one.
I'm going to try to divide them up so I'm finished by New Year's Eve. Maybe maybe.
Old 12-27-2021, 02:48 PM

Love how this clue is coming together. Aren't they the cutest little things? I set these out on the aqua I plan to use for background.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1410.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	636970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1411[3696].jpg
Views:	71
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	636971  
Old 12-27-2021, 03:38 PM

Suern3 They look lovely on the aqua too!

Thanks for answering my question about timing everyone. No quilting happened here today but I have pulled my fabric out for the new clue! I am hoping the next clue won’t be in pinks simply because I suspect I am going to have to go into my pink stash in order to complete this clue.
Old 12-27-2021, 04:16 PM

Suern3: Your clue 5 units look lovely. It’s so much fun once they start feeling like quilt blocks!
Old 12-27-2021, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

suern3- those look lovely!!!! I'm super excited about this quilt!