Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  I've ruined a customer quilt with marker! >

Help! I've ruined a customer quilt with marker!

Help! I've ruined a customer quilt with marker!

Old 05-27-2021, 07:21 AM

I use dawn blue dish soap often on my quilts and any other stubborn stains with great results. I soak my quilts in the bath tub and rinse well then roll and squeeze out as much water as I can . I have a flannel backed plastic table cloth I lay the quilt on to carry to my drying rack and lay the quilt on it. If it is nice outside I do it in the yard with a sheet over the top to protect it. I did this also with two antique quilts I found at a flea market that were very dirty and the results were great on them also.
Old 12-27-2021, 03:05 PM

Some markers are alcohol base, so alcohol gets them out.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:20 AM

Try applying some Oxi-clean either dissolved in water or as a paste and let it sit for awhile. I think that the crayola will disappear.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:20 PM

Try using hair spray. Learned this trick when teaching and a kid marked someone's pants with a marker. The ink came right off. I used the cheapest one I could find...Aqua Net.

Another girl spilt a bottle of fruit drink in her new sweater. She said her mother was going to kill her! I gave the sweater to the school's secretary and she poured boiling water on it and the stain came right out. I sent the wet sweater in a plastic bag home with the student. I also gave her my home phone in case her mother didn't believe her or was wondering why the sweater was so wet. I do that with avocado stains too which my detergent could not get out.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:30 PM

I have had good luck with blue Dawn, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and water on various stains. I'd try it in an inconspicuous area first.
Old 01-02-2022, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
happy conclusion! I was more worried about the washing, some people don't like to wash before gifting as they feel it makes the gift look used. I'm so happy for you and her! And the baby where ever
I’m nowhere near ready to do quilts for customers, but I do wash my own quilts on gentle cold after binding them. I let them air dry, then spray with magic sizing and iron them. I find that gives them the ‘new’ feeling.
Old 01-05-2022, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

Most liquid dishwashing has formaldehyde in it. Not much of course but over time it can build up if you wash dishes by hand for years and breath it

Formaldehyde is added to a dish detergent to enhance the smell, so it's usually found only in scented products. Many products contain the preservative quaternium, which acts by releasing formaldehyde when it's exposed to water.

Formaldehyde Poisoning is a disorder brought about by breathing the fumes of formaldehyde. . Major symptoms may include eye, nose, and throat irritation; headaches; and/or skin rashes.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:59 AM

Yeah!!! I'm so relieved to read this!!