Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Platform bed or traditional bed? >

Platform bed or traditional bed?

Platform bed or traditional bed?

Old 01-04-2022, 03:18 PM

Default Platform bed or traditional bed?

I am contemplating a new bed and trying to decide between a traditional bed with mattress and box spring or a platform bed. I have never had a platform. I would be grateful to anyone with experience who can help me decide. Are they equally comfortable? Pros and cons? Any advice? Thanks to anyone who cares to share!
Old 01-04-2022, 04:15 PM

When you ask about a "platform" bed are you thinking about one of those beds where you can raise or lower your head or feet? Or like a futon on a platform? I love futons but my husband doesn't. I currently have a bed and boxspring bed but it will need replacing soon. I suspect a bed with the ability to raise the head and/or feet is in my future. My parents had one and loved it.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:26 PM

No, not an adjustable bed, just one with a platform with a mattress and no box springs. Seem to be tons of them when I look at bedroom furniture.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:14 PM

I’m wondering if there is any way to try sleeping for several nights on a platform bed. To me they just don’t look very comfortable, but I’ve never had any other than the traditional mattress and box springs. OK, I’m an older dog (74) but I just didn’t see what the big deal is without a box springs. let us know if you can fund a place to give the platform a try - not just a lay down in a store but actually at least one night.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 01-04-2022, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

Back when the son was young he had a platform bed. It had drawers underneath and a regular mattress. Anyone who ever slept in that bed called it the “magic bed”.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:03 PM

We have platform beds in all of our guest rooms and they are very comfortable. Guests often compliment us on how well they sleep. We ordered them online (Wayfair, I think). We have replaced all mattresses in both of our homes (7 bedrooms total) with 10" Tuft and Needle mattresses, which are shipped to the house. It's the mattress that makes the difference, I find. Whether it's on a box spring or platform doesn't seem to matter. Platform beds are less expensive and eliminate the need to buy a box spring.

If you decide to buy a platform, pay attention to the clearance under the bed and the height of the mattress, so you know how high the top of the mattress will be. If we ever replace our bedroom set, I suspect we'll buy a platform bed for ourselves too.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:05 PM

We had a platform bed a few years ago. The only problem we had was that it was too low to the floor. We are both tall and sometimes it was a struggle getting out of the bed. If we had been younger it would have been ok.

Last edited by lberna; 01-04-2022 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:40 PM

Because of limited space in our Greenwich Village apartment my husband and I opted for a platform bed which also gave us much-needed drawer space. We got a queen size double height (four deep drawers on each side, two over two, and a large storage space also on each side). We used it together for 40 years and I'm still using it. Every ten years or so we'd get a replacement mattress. I can honestly say I love my bed. We both loved it and never considered getting anything else even when we bought our current apartment which has very large rooms. Google "mattress for platform bed" (I just did) and there's tons of info to check out. Good luck with your search. My vote - go for it!
Old 01-05-2022, 04:59 AM

We have a platform bed that looks like the old water bed bases. It has drawers on both sides, great for storing extra blankets and whatever. We bought box springs and a mattress for it. The bed is higher than normal but not so high that it's difficult to get in. It's actually easier to get in and out than the lower beds.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:13 AM

DH built us a a platform bed frame almost 20 years ago. It also has storage drawers underneath and we love it. The additional storage is wonderful. All box springs sag with time and use. A platform does not. I truly believe that it adds to the life of a mattress. I also agree with the others who said to take note of the combined height of the platform and mattress. Our first mattress had a pillow top on both sides and, while very comfortable, was a tad high for me.