Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-06-2022, 07:17 PM

Joe's Mom, is hard for me to tell since I doubled up on that one clue, but I've used quite a bit of my neutral/white so far. Especially since so much was trimmed from the squares, it adds up.

I feel a bit like Annie -- the next clue will come tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow
Old 01-07-2022, 04:01 AM

Are any of you doing anything with your cut offs?
[/QUOTE]
I am making a doll quilt for our 15 month old granddaughter who has become interested in doll babies.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:58 AM

And the clue is up -- we'll be using up some of that Neutral and the Hourglass blocks -- but no reveal yet!

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2022...art-seven.html
Old 01-07-2022, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the link, Iceblossom. Looking good! I'm anxious to start the aqua but I guess not yet!

I finished my blocks early so yesterday I tackled a huge box of mementos from many years- stuff my kids did in school, letters from my Mom, all sorts of things even from high school! (notes from friends etc) I was cross-eyed by last night and I'm not even finished. It's hard to let go of that stuff but I have to thin it out. It was fun but also emotional.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
And the clue is up -- we'll be using up some of that Neutral and the Hourglass blocks -- but no reveal yet!

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2022...art-seven.html
Good! I am so glad no reveal yet! My status: I have clues 1-6 all cut out, clue 1 stitched, and clue 2 half-stitched. So I will have a bit more time to catch-up on all the stitching!
Old 01-07-2022, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

That's great, sewingpup. I don't know how in the world I'm caught up this time. I'm usually waaay behind. It's certainly not the norm for me. Happy stitching.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:54 AM

I have ten blocks done from the last clue and I feel like I may get the rest finished today. My "sunflower" quilt will be going to my sister who has covid. She has been so sick, so weak, so when I told her yesterday she was so happy. She is the only one who has not got a quilt from me. I told her good things come to those who wait .Our brother died last year and one of the last pictures we have of him is among these giant sunflowers. We three sisters planted sunflowers last spring and sent each other pictures of them in honor of him. Now she is getting this quilt and said it will remind her of him. I really just dont like yellow and grabbed the fabric not planning all this so it has really worked out. Missing those 5 days while on our trip has really got me behind. I know it is not a race but I have always been able to keep up but not this time.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:27 AM

Sandra: Your blocks with the sunflower fabric is beautiful, made more so by your story. Sorry for the loss of your brother and hope you sister gets well soon.

My thought is this week’s clue is deceptively easy, but actually will require attention to using accurate seam allowances to make sure the blocks comes out at the right size. I have a good feeling how blocks A and B will be placed but not sure what will go between or how the aqua will be used. With sashing and borders still to come, I could see the reveal next week or even the week after that.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:48 AM

Sandra, I think the repeated use of the sunflowers is going to give your project an extra design factor and it is a lovely choice. I'm especially big on fabric with meanings, especially one that can be shared with your sister like that.

I will say I was expecting some grid with the hourglass blocks and some neutral, but I was also thinking the garnet squares and maybe some of the aqua was coming in.

By my mental math, this step is pretty close in terms of neutral fabric use as that extra set I cut in the hourglass stage... I have plenty left for this step.

Hubby's official covid test on Jan 3 came out as positive again. He is expected back at work now on the 10th. I remain symptom free but because of test shortages am still not tested myself so we remain on the Keeping Isolated Sewing Solo (kiss) format.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:18 AM

Thank you Suzslo and Iceblossom, Funny how things work out isnt it? When we left our NY house I just grabbed some fabrics that she gave the colors to thinking I would have more here at the condo which has been true to a certain extent. The only color I had to buy is the aqua. Sending good thoughts to your husband. Mine is getting a covid test today at the hospital for a colonoscopy he is having on Monday. Oh the joys of getting older and the "golden years" Lol. I am so glad we have this quilt to take my mind off things. Bonnie is very sweet and generous to share her talents with us every year.