I found a LQS

Old 01-07-2022, 07:03 AM

Default I found a LQS

My sister and I went on a mission to find a LQS that we had been told about. It was about 20 miles from home. It was located in an industrial area off the beaten track and what a find it was. I found 3 pieces of sale fabric that will work great in a quilt I am working on. I was so proud of myself I only got 1 yd of each one instead of buying the whole bolt like I am inclined to do. The location was a surprise to begin with but once there the shop was great and had a lot to offer. I will go back there but not to soon because of the distance.
There is another LQS that should be a lot closer to me that I want to check out. I have been yearning for a LQS that has loads of fabrics and notions and classes and everything I am looking for in a LQS. This one does not offer any classes because of limited space. She is also quite the distance for me. Hopefully my next venture will have more options. now back to sewing.

Old 01-07-2022, 07:24 AM

Congratulations on your find. I am very fortunate to have 2 LQS nearby in my small town. The larger one gives classes, but they have been limited since COVID. They have a good selection of fabric and tools and other quilting items I can buy. Good luck on the next LQS.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:01 PM

I love finding new LQS! Here in Mooresville, NC there aren’t any shops closer than about 50 miles one way, and several more than that. I did a lot of online shopping during the past 1-1/2 years but only from a very few places that are super. Many years ago (sometime in the 1990s) I went to Keepsake in NH for the first time - fell in love with that shop. It changed quite a few years ago, the catalogue was getting worse and worse - eventually we all found out why, several years ago real quilt shop owners got the store back. But then!!!! Pineapple Fabrics came in the scene - was originally just a warehouse for Keepsake, but became their primary shoo plus warehouse for Keepsake, which closed permanently, I love Pineapple Fabrics and shopped online with them from the first time they started doing that. It is about 1-1/2 (or a little less if I step on it in I-40!!!!) from my front door and I’m ecstatic. I’ve been to two of their big!!! Warehouse sales in 2021 - luckily I exercised a small amount of control😄😄😄. I have been happier than ever since I found them plus I have a fun time driving over and seeing new places!!!!!

I do have a great, favorite store in Aurora/Parker, CO where I have mightily donated to the CO economy😄😄😄. Just went before Christmas (our son, DIL and grandchildren live in Aurora so only get there about twice a year) - I don’t think my husband noticed the large bag I staggered out of the store with - I was in hog heaven!!!!!!

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 01-07-2022, 07:17 PM

Ladyin purple135, There was a LQS in Mooresville. It was on a corner, but you had to go on the side street to get to the fabric.
There was a LQS in Mooresville on the Main St., but to get to the fabric you had to enter on the side street, and climb a very
steep set of stairs. After you got up there it was at least worth it. Our kids now live on the other side of N.C., and they don't even have a Joann's or Hobby Lobby.
Old 01-08-2022, 03:48 AM

Thanks for the info on Pineapple Quilts site. Added it to my list, may not make it in person, but there's allways on-line to the rescue!
Old 01-08-2022, 07:31 PM

Grannie Chee Chee - both the shops that you mentioned were owned by the same person. The one on Main Street started in the second floor and when the first floor became available the shop took over that. The stairs to the 2nd floor were steep but the building was very old - it did cause quite a few people problems but because,if it’s statue nothing could be changed. Erica, the owner moved the shop about 3 miles south to a building that was offices if versions kinds, I did shop there but it just didn’t feel “right” to me. She retired several years ago (I forgot how many) so the store closed. Mooresville does have a JoAnn’s and I do,shop there for many things - but rarely for fabrics. I’ve been around quality fabrics since I started learning how to make quilts way back in 1979 and I know by the feel which ones I will pay good money for, But - I did take a longer look at the batiks and a few other fabrics of a higher price at JoAnn’s and it does feel like a better quality. I’m probably a fabric snob but I’d rather use quality fabrics and thread than just use something that doesn’t make me happy. We do have a Hobby Lobby and I have purchased fabrics there at times. They carry Robert Kaufman Kona which I love and get certain colors when I need them,

Just curious - I see you live in Jacksonville and I’m curious as to which one NC, FL? Are your kids in west NC? There are some great shops north and west of Mooresville, plus a super great one in Wytheville, VA. All are a bit of a drive from me but now that NC is sort of opening up I feel great about being able to travel more.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC

Old 01-09-2022, 03:44 AM

Whats name of the store in Colorado? I’m close and would like to visit it😊
Old 01-09-2022, 07:21 PM

The store name is High Prairie Quilts -in Parker I think. Check out their website - a super quilt store - I helped the CL economy quilt a bit!!!! I tend to buy precuts for fabric when we travel as I just don’t have any idea of what to use. So - FQS are buy 12 get one free, I bought at least 24🤗🤗.

Let us know what you think about this store - I will visit whenever we get back which will probably be next June when our granddaughter turns 3.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 01-12-2022, 06:17 PM

Ladyinpurple135, we live in Jacksonville Bch, FL. and our kids live in Greenville, N.C..
Old 01-16-2022, 05:24 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default Traveling to Jacksonville, Fl

Going to Jacksonville Fl next month. Any good shops there?