Repairing my Pfaff 1222 Log

Old 11-13-2019, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by MissMori View Post
I purchased a Pfaff 1222 at the DAV for $17 a couple weeks ago. Did you find a repair manuel somewhere online? Have you been able to get parts?
Lucky you! I have both manual and repair service manual. Yes i was able to get the camstack. Other than that, I am able to find other parts in ebay.

so onto more repair. Well after tinkering and checking out every type of solution. I may have to give up and take it to somebody who have service many pfaff

Still no straight stitch. Feed dogs still feeding way too slow. Just lucky that there are no broken parts. As usualy with german engineering, over engineer the simplest mechanism in life.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]619677[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619678[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619679[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619680[/ATTACH]

I did put everything together if in case I just give it to a repairman.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PB020093.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	619676   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB020094.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	619677   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB090095.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	619678   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB090096.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	619679   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB090098.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	619680  

Old 12-16-2020, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by bobbinhd View Post
log #1

I was finally get to repair the knob dials. see below by unscrewing the lock mechanism
Attachment 619196
More pictures
Attachment 619197

I then fixed on the feed dogs but I think i got it repair but will testing needs to be done. Manual says go to go see the bottom
Attachment 619198
Attachment 619199

Still no straight stitch

Will continue the next time.
How does the knob come off? The white square on my machine moved about to about the 2 o'clock position. I'm guessing I need to remove the entire dial assembly to get the dial back in phase.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:58 PM

Had some free time to look into it today and figured it out. There was a hidden set screw on the needle position gear. Once you remove that, the knob pulls out. Then the bushing and the rest of the stitch length selector dial can be removed.

What causes the bushing to spin is from oil. The bushing is press fit into the housing and should not be lubricated but if it's oiled then oil will work its way in between the housing and bushing, causing the bushing to spin, which causes the white dot/square to move.

I've been reading that the fix is to drill into the housing and install a set screw to permanently hold the bushing in place. I didn't want metal shavings falling down inside near the motor so I just ended up using Red Loctite on the outside of the bushing which is just as good of a fix IMO. Just make sure to remove any oil residue on the bushing and housing with acetone or isopropyl alcohol before applying it. Once cured, it aint coming off unless you stick a torch to it. Make sure the notch at the end of the bushing is perfectly vertical before you press/tap it in because it bonds quickly. I messed up the first time and had to really crank on it with vice grips to remove it.

This was a fairly easy fix. I was expecting to take the entire machine apart based on the several people mentioning that this was a "huge job" but it took me maybe 30 minutes. And this fix will also work hook bushings that seizes onto the shaft and spins inside the housings.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08158.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	882.8 KB
ID:	630544   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08154.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	668.5 KB
ID:	630545   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08156.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	678.1 KB
ID:	630546  
Old 12-27-2020, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by shasta5718 View Post
Good luck. I have one and it is still working, I did take it in a few years ago and the repairman said if it were more than an adjustment, he wouldn't be able to fix it as parts were thrown away when pfaff was bought out years ago.
Look at this group: https://groups.io/g/OldPfaffPforum . If you're serious about keeping this wonderful old machine they can help with ANYthing.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by MissMori View Post
I purchased a Pfaff 1222 at the DAV for $17 a couple weeks ago. Did you find a repair manuel somewhere online? Have you been able to get parts?
My 1222, purchased new in 1975, was supposed to be kaput a few years ago, but I found a technician who got it apart and said there was nothing wrong with it but 40+ years of gunk. He said he used a product you would use to free up gears in a car, or something like that. Anyway, good as new! And they said it was one of the best old workhorse machines made.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:27 PM

Hi bobbinhd, have you fixed the zigzag sewing issue? I have the same issue and know what it is but what manual says doesnt fix the issue. Happy to discuss this further.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
My 1222, purchased new in 1975, was supposed to be kaput a few years ago, but I found a technician who got it apart and said there was nothing wrong with it but 40+ years of gunk. He said he used a product you would use to free up gears in a car, or something like that. Anyway, good as new! And they said it was one of the best old workhorse machines made.
Lee in Richmond, can you share who was the technician that repaired your 1222 and where they work please?
Old 02-09-2022, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by nw693 View Post
Had some free time to look into it today and figured it out. There was a hidden set screw on the needle position gear. Once you remove that, the knob pulls out. Then the bushing and the rest of the stitch length selector dial can be removed.

What causes the bushing to spin is from oil. The bushing is press fit into the housing and should not be lubricated but if it's oiled then oil will work its way in between the housing and bushing, causing the bushing to spin, which causes the white dot/square to move.

I've been reading that the fix is to drill into the housing and install a set screw to permanently hold the bushing in place. I didn't want metal shavings falling down inside near the motor so I just ended up using Red Loctite on the outside of the bushing which is just as good of a fix IMO. Just make sure to remove any oil residue on the bushing and housing with acetone or isopropyl alcohol before applying it. Once cured, it aint coming off unless you stick a torch to it. Make sure the notch at the end of the bushing is perfectly vertical before you press/tap it in because it bonds quickly. I messed up the first time and had to really crank on it with vice grips to remove it.

This was a fairly easy fix. I was expecting to take the entire machine apart based on the several people mentioning that this was a "huge job" but it took me maybe 30 minutes. And this fix will also work hook bushings that seizes onto the shaft and spins inside the housings.
nw683, YOU ROCK!! Thanks for the details & pictures!

Unfortunately, the needle position cam got slightly misaligned when I removed the knobs & it took me FOREVER to get everything back together.

I am not using Loctite because I don’t want to make it permanent, just in case I messed up something else & have to remove the knobs again. But I was able to clean the knobs & shafts well. Makes sense about oil causing the knob alignment issue because this machine had been way over-oiled.

Thanks again for taking the time to post this! There is not much info on the internet & the service manual could be much better.

Old 11-01-2023, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by nw693 View Post

nw693 I wanted to thank you for this post.

My machine is a 1222e and I had to remove the bell crank and cam stack housing to get to the screw (youtube). Once the housing was removed I took out the set screw and removed the knob. I then removed the portion of the dial with the white square (the portion of the dial moving when it should be stationary). It pulls toward you, just get something behind it. You can then access a snap ring or gently pry the bushing (rod) from the housing. Mine was fairly difficult to pull out but I did so by working a screwdriver around the back of the stitch selector and the body of the machine. It worked for me but idealy id remove the snap ring if doing it again. My bushing was plenty tight in the housing although it was spinning when turning the stitch selector but it was very difficult to turn. My problem was the bushing or rod was completely frozen in the round bushing of the stitch selector. I tapped it out from the back and the rod came out with the snap ring attached. I removed the snap ring. I cleaned the rod and gummed up bushing and reassembled with the selector and snap ring. Their is also a plus shaped spring that sits inside of the selector between the selector and the snap ring. I tapped the rod back into the housing, making sure to lift the little pawls that ride on the nylon section of the selector as one unit. I did use a little silicone spray on the portion of the rod that the selector sit on. I then used the knob to make sure the hole for the screw lined up for proper depth. Make sure to get the orientation correct so the dial with the white square is in the 12 oclock position as it is notched to fit the end of the rod. Install the dial with the square and then the knob and secure the screw.

Now it turns super smooth and the white dot stays where it is supposed to be.

I hope this post helps someone like nw693's post helped me. Not much good info out there on how to correct this. Everyone was saying to pay someone because it was too difficult or that it was now a parts machine. Nothing was broken or damaged in the machine and just needed to be disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. I didnt even have to use locktite or install a set screw on mine. I had more trouble removing and installing the bell crank and cam stack housing that fixing the stitch selector. Probably took me a bit over an hour for the whole thing taking my time.
Old 03-24-2024, 11:24 PM

@flag2442 I don't suppose you took any pictures during this?? I'm getting ready to attempt the exact same thing, and I'm nervous to get the needle position cam out of whack!