Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Space to set up Machines >

Space to set up Machines

Space to set up Machines

Old 01-10-2022, 11:55 AM

Question Space to set up Machines

I was wondering does anyone use an outside building example, storage unit, work office space building? I live in a small one bedroom apartment and looking for some place to set up my machines and not have to drag them out to work on them.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

Anything is possible!
Looks like you are considering an assortment of possibilities.
It'd be best to create a list of "must haves", for any location to be appropriate for you.
Then you can easily work down that check list for any under consideration.

I appreciate you may be too crowded in your apartment to have a sewing space. However, I've always thought that a perfect somewhat out of the way space, would be to create a sewing centre in a regular closet. Close the folding doors, and out of site!!

Yes it may crowd you more, but if doable, what you would gain with more sewing time by not having to commute, washroom facilities on site, frig and snacks, temperature control, additional rent fees, etc. may outweigh the inconvenience of staying in your apartment.

Good Luck, as you make plans!
Old 01-10-2022, 12:26 PM

My neighbor uses a small walk in closet for her sewing/craft area. She says it works well.

I agree with QuiltE. You do need to consider the inconvenience of a storage type facility and the cost if you decide on an office space. The storage facility most likely won't have any amenities. Office space would probably work well, but would be pricey.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:42 PM

A friend eased an office for her quilt, weaving, and hoarding.
Old 01-10-2022, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

As long as you have climate control so you don’t ruin your machines.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by RlgQuilts View Post
I was wondering does anyone use an outside building example, storage unit, work office space building? I live in a small one bedroom apartment and looking for some place to set up my machines and not have to drag them out to work on them.
Ummm, I had a smaller sewing machine cabinet that did not take up much space. The machine could be lowered down into, the shelf on the left side, could be folded over the top of the machine which created a cabinet only about 30 inches wide, which I could cover with a table topper and lamp when not in use. Yep, you still would have to raise the machine out of the cabinet and flip down that shelf to the left. You mentioned machines, I don't know how many you have or how big they are. But you give up the convenience of being able to work anytime if you move your operation out of the apartment. I did have a sister-in-law who joined the local artist groups, and she would rent a space for her pottery and there was also a space which had a long arm in it for the fiber art people. Actually, she cleaned the space in exchange for the rent. One downfall about an outside space would be security.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:53 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

If you live in a senior citizen type facility perhaps your program Director or facility director could help you coordinate a space on your campus for you to sew and maybe have others who would like to so join you. Sewing together is so much more fun I think than sewing alone. This room would be within your walking distance if not in the same building. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Come to think of it any kind of apartment complex probably has a community room. I know many campgrounds offer community rooms for their campers to use for such purposes. Don’t be afraid to ask
Old 01-11-2022, 04:11 PM

I don't think a regular storage unit will do the trick, as most of them do not have power outlets. However there are some that look like glorified storage units but often offer power, wifi, etc. That may be something to look into, it would be a bit cozier (and pricier) than a storage unit. try looking up "workspace" rentals in your area.