Fabric Moratorium 2022

Old 01-12-2022, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

ckcowl- that's a great looking block. I can't wait to see what unfolds.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by elly66 View Post
I enjoyed the challenge of finding a pattern to match the fabric. It's not my normal way of coming up with an idea for a quilt so I really had to think on it.
​​ i 'm curious to try it again sometime.
the best part is it gives me a judge in the right direction stash wise.
I'm not a particularly experienced quilter but I find I prefer starting with the fabric I have and either seeing what it suggests to me, pattern-wise, or browsing patterns with the fabric in mind (or in view). I find this to be such a fun way to play with the fabric I have. :-)
Old 01-13-2022, 07:05 AM

One of my favorite LQS (about 15 minutes from my home) is closing its doors. 😔 She has lovely fabrics now at 50%off…I popped in yesterday and proudly admit (although it was very tempting) I only purchased large pieces of Grunge that I can use for backing fabric. That’s not to say I won’t be making another visit…but I am happy with my discipline yesterday.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:07 AM

Jmoore -- There is definitely the store closing exemption! Yes we try to exercise restraint and get only the stuff we really really want/need...

Gemm -- sometimes the fabric calls to me that I have this that goes with that, and then I have to figure out what I can do with the yardage I have. Or, I have to look for a pattern that fits. Since I have a number of large scale fabrics in my collection, I'm always looking for ways to use them.

Sometimes it is the design that calls me -- all I have to do is gather the fabrics.

And sometimes I turn to stash for skills building. I want to do a bit of paper piecing that is slightly above my skill set, so I have a pattern and fabric picked out for a crib sized project to get me better. L I realized that I hadn't done any set in seams for quite awhile, so I did (again) crib-sized traditionally pieced Lemoyne Star and feel adequate to tackle any that might come my way again.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:18 AM

That's restraint jmoore. Several years ago I had a local quilt shop close and my restraint wasn't anywhere close to yours at that price point.
I am working on one of the two pieces of older fabric and really liking the results. Hoping to cut into the other one today. Decided to make a log cabin quilt with it rather than for backing. Like to get started so when Bonnie Hunter clue comes out tomorrow, they can be the leaders and enders.
Between that and a quilt on the frame, I should stay busy and out of trouble (fabric shopping) for a few days. Today we are at 50 degrees and tonight it's suppose to snow so I have a few things to take care of outside as well. Crazy weather. Last week it was -23. Let's hope I get most of this done! Happy quilting everyone!
Old 01-13-2022, 12:14 PM

Well I fell of the Wagon, but not to badly. I went into a LQS for the first time in years and had to buy a couple pieces of fabric that goes with a quilt I am working on. I left one of the pieces at my sisters so I will have to make a trip to pick it up. We stopped at Walmart too. I haven't been in a Walmart that has fabrics in years. I picked up 2 yards of under-wonder and 2 yds. of fabric there. Those pieces will not go in a quilt. The thread count doesn't meet my quilting needs.
Now I am back on track and just pulled some fabrics out of my stash for a QAL. I just finished my first block there and feel good about using stash fabrics. Now I am back on track.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:15 AM

Hi all! I wasn’t sure if I was committed to participating this year. I punched a big hole in my stash last year and thought I’d have to replenish a bunch of it. I was able to power thru a lot of my precuts and kitted projects that have been sitting there for awhile. So, this year, I decided I would tackle the boxes of scrap cuttings I’ve been collecting in difference sizes. Here are 2 quilts I finished this month using 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 patches and a bunch of 2” strips I’ve collected. I do not have enough selection for backing for the 2nd quilt with out having to do a major pieced back (no thanks!) so I did buy a backing…but, all else from stash..

My next project is a pattern I’ve been collecting Homespun woven’s for a few years. I think I have all I need to get started on that so that project box has been transferred to my work surface.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	B998F587-AD34-447F-BCB2-0DEE2A88A6B0.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	637302   Click image for larger version

Name:	78FB9F55-BF93-486E-A360-7087BEF9C29C.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	537.8 KB
ID:	637303   Click image for larger version

Name:	D2BFAB36-E41F-4407-A17B-8289E25C5573.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	473.6 KB
ID:	637304  

Last edited by Teen; 01-14-2022 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:34 AM

Teen, I like your patterns and choice of colors. I'm back to sewing on a granddaughter's wedding quilt and will do 2 1/2" squares for leaders and enders.
A grandson's wedding quilt on the little FMQ machine so I have choices.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:39 AM

Teen - those are some great quilts! I'm especially in love with the last one. I don't often think of cutting scraps into rectangles like that - it's generally squares, strips, or misshapen crumbs. You've definitely inspired me. :-) And well done for sticking with stash - buying a back doesn't count since it's destined for a specific project. :-D
Old 01-14-2022, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Well I already fell off the wagon. I'm doing a sewalong with Flamingotoes in March and bought the yummy Enchanted Meadows fabric for it.
But I'm still doing better than years before.