Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Juki TL-2000Qi foot pedal stuck on automatic thread cutting (with forward motion) >

Juki TL-2000Qi foot pedal stuck on automatic thread cutting (with forward motion)

Juki TL-2000Qi foot pedal stuck on automatic thread cutting (with forward motion)

Old 01-14-2022, 06:13 AM

Default Juki TL-2000Qi foot pedal stuck on automatic thread cutting (with forward motion)

Hello fellow Quilters! I'm having a strange problem with my brand-new Juki TL-2000Qi and wondering if it has happened to anyone else. For background, I've had this machine for a month (received it for Christmas from my husband) and have used it for about 8 hours total for piecing and quilting. In this time, I've cleaned and oiled it once. I last used it Tuesday night (1/11/22) for about 20 minutes of light piecing and it worked perfectly.

When I turned on my machine yesterday morning, immediately any effort to use the foot pedal in forward sewing motion resulted in engagement of the automatic thread cutter. When it first happened I thought my foot must have slipped and pressed down (backward) on the pedal, but when I tried again it kept happening. The automatic thread cutter engages as expected with the switch on the body of the machine and when pressing down (backward) on the foot pedal, but also when pressing forward on the foot pedal to sew. Of course, this makes sewing impossible. As a note, the automatic thread cutter does not engage when turning the handwheel.

In response, I removed the bobbin case, bottom cover, and throat plate and cleaned everything, inspected for threads, and oiled the machine again in the locations indicated in the user's manual. I unplugged the power cord and foot pedal, turned the machine on and off, and even tried a different outlet. Still, the automatic thread cutter engages with any attempt to sew forward with the foot pedal.

With the throat plate removed, my (mechanical engineer) husband took a look to see what was happening when I pressed down on the pedal. First, he was super impressed with the quality of the parts (go Juki!), but can't see why the thread cutting mechanism would be engaging with forward motion on the pedal. He suspects it's either an electronic issue with the foot pedal itself or related to something being slightly off in the mechanisms deeper in the machine that we can't see.

I can't imagine why/how this happened, as I didn't touch my sewing machine between my last use Tuesday night and the foot pedal issue yesterday morning. I have been sharing glowing reviews with my sewer friends/family about this machine and am beyond disappointed that it's not working properly, especially with only several hours of use in a month.

Has anyone heard of this before? I contacted Juki and am hoping they'll be able to help, as my machine is definitely still under warranty. Thanks in advance for any insight!
Old 01-14-2022, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

I don’t have that machine but since I was considering one I joined a Facebook group. Some of them have faulty foot pedals so maybe this is your case and the dealer can help
Old 01-14-2022, 08:07 AM

Hope your dealer is close. Take your machine in and ask for,them to plug in a new foot l pedal...test..that will tell you if that's it. Best wishes for a quick fix.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:11 AM

I have that machine, 7-8 years now. Have not had that happen. My first thought was thread or lint caught up in the pedal but it sounds like you have checked for that. I hope Juki has an answer for you
Old 01-14-2022, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

I have the older model with thread cutter in the foot control. I got so fed up with it I cut off the cord to it. I use the manual button to cut the thread.
I would definitely have it checked since it is new.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:48 AM

Wink Entirely OT

Just want to offer my sympathies with a completely off-topic response. Yesterday I plugged in my vacuum, cleaned half the LR carpet, turned off the machine, pulled the plug and moved it to a closer outlet. When I turned it back on....NOTHING. Hasn't worked since. I am firmly convinced that each electronic machine is possessedd with its own "spirit" or "evil genie" or something and when that sucker decides not to like you--that's it. The machine never works again. Over the years I've had it happen to washing machines, stoves, and even microwaves. That's probably what is actually wrong with your machine. You have my sympathies. Unless you can figure out the right offering to the right spirit.... I never have, so they STAY busted until the manufacturer comes thru with a replacement.

Hang in there and this, too, shall pass (but only after you've acquired a dozen new grey hairs!)

Last edited by RustyOne; 01-14-2022 at 10:51 AM. Reason: I STILL can't spell!
Old 01-14-2022, 11:27 AM

Contact the dealer or vendor directly for a replacement.

Another thread for review.

https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/fo...-pedal-problem
Old 01-14-2022, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
Contact the dealer or vendor directly for a replacement.

Another thread for review.

https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/fo...-pedal-problem
Ahh thank you for sharing this! It does sound like something (electronic) is up with the foot pedals. Hopefully Juki comes through with a replacement!
Old 01-24-2022, 05:41 AM

Default Juki TL-2000Qi Foot Pedal

I have the same machine which I have had since May 2021. It was working fine a couple of days ago and when I went to sew this morning I have the same problem. I have sent Juki an email and will have to see how quick they respond. I have read on Facebook posts that this is a known issue.
Here's hoping our problem get resolved in a timely fashion. I looked online to see how much they are for replacement and they are about $170 US. I live in Canada so that will be much more than that. I do have another sewing machine that I can use in the interim but it is still disheartening.

Good luck to us both!
Old 01-24-2022, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by TheBagLady1960 View Post
I have the same machine which I have had since May 2021. It was working fine a couple of days ago and when I went to sew this morning I have the same problem. I have sent Juki an email and will have to see how quick they respond. I have read on Facebook posts that this is a known issue.
Here's hoping our problem get resolved in a timely fashion. I looked online to see how much they are for replacement and they are about $170 US. I live in Canada so that will be much more than that. I do have another sewing machine that I can use in the interim but it is still disheartening.

Good luck to us both!
Thanks for this info! I came across a few Facebook posts describing this issue as well. Such a frustrating problem but glad we know what's going on! I got a response back from Juki last Monday saying a replacement foot pedal would be sent when inventory is available. Hoping that's sooner rather than later because I was loving my new machine. I have an old one too that I can use in the meantime but it's no match for the Juki