Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
VQW—Jan 14-17, 2022 >

VQW—Jan 14-17, 2022

VQW—Jan 14-17, 2022

Old 01-15-2022, 11:37 AM

I had cut/sewn twice as much fabric for one step as I needed to on my Bonnie Hunter project and I came out about 2" short of my neutral (white) to finish the top. So close but so far! I switched from Kona to AMB a couple years ago... anyway, I don't have a current local store but I have some on order and it should arrive in the coming week.

I'm sure I can keep busy working on the border until the package arrives.

I'm also working on sorting fabric. I'll be moving this year and I will be moving fabric but not all the fabric I currently have... I ordered some plastic totes to see if I like them. They just came and seem to be just fine so I will order more -- but I have enough for a start of the things I know I want to take.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:17 PM

Got the top all together and at a standstill the the remaining border fabric comes in next week sometime. I went the shed and started up the snow blower and moved it into the garage in preparation for this coming storm, who knows what we will end up with, better to be on the safe side. I am too old to shovel snow, or maybe just too darn lazy to spend hours doing it.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:56 PM

Got a little more quilting done on the doodle quilt. Also took care of some chores that needed doing before tomorrow's snow/ice storm gets here. I'm hoping that the pet friendly ice melt I ordered gets here (supposed to come today) as I'm all out of that and the kitty litter that I use when I can't get ice melt. Now I'm going to try to make myself work on cutting out the background fabric for the October color block quilt. Don't know why I'm being so unenthusiastic about it, I've chosen several neat fabrics that I think will look really good with the color blocks, but I'm just not feeling the desire to work on this one. I really want to work on a project that I've had in the back of my mind for several months now rather than finish up another color block quilt.... sigh...LOL

Rob
Old 01-15-2022, 01:21 PM

Well I worked on the Lone star quilt again. I starched as many suggested and have been super careful to not stretch anything. Then I pinned as suggested in a video I watched and have 1 diamond done that came out near-perfect. Wish me luck on the next 7 because this is for a mom to be and her water broke this morning 3 weeks early! lol
Old 01-15-2022, 05:04 PM

Okay - photos have been a challenge - not posting, but actually getting one that shows the quilt without too many wrinkles or corners cut off! Here is the finished top, made with a bunch of jelly rolls gifted by a QB friend as well as some filler fabrics from my stash. It finished up at about 64" x 80" and I'm quite pleased with it. I hadn't done this particular layout before (I don't even know what it's called) and I think this is only the second quilt I've set on point. :-)

Other things have kept me from my sewing table today but I have the leftover pieces of the jelly roll triangles picked apart and ready to be sewn into binding. As I thought, I will have to wait for a trip to the LQS to be able to finish this one as I don't have a decently sized piece of batting to use.

I'm waffling between tidying up from this project and starting to do some layout for the next I Spy quilt. Either way, there's a good chance nothing more will happen until tomorrow. Nice to see everyone else's progress!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6867.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	637334  
Old 01-15-2022, 05:09 PM

I sandwiched a Lone Star today because I need to stay busy. I don’t want to quilt it right now though. Trying to think of something new to piece…
Old 01-15-2022, 06:00 PM

Today, gathered up all quilting stuff to show house. They liked it. By the time that was finished, we went to town for lunch and groceries. Now tired. Maybe tomorrow or Monday Holiday.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:33 PM

I've been longarming my " travel " quilt, and it has been a challenge. So many colour changes and different textures due to appliques, ( a lot of unsewing , sigh). On the construction end of things, l'm designing/ sewing a QOV, impromptu style . I have a very limited supply of the fabrics, so l'm doing my best to stretch them to the max.
Old 01-15-2022, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
I sandwiched a Lone Star today because I need to stay busy. I don’t want to quilt it right now though. Trying to think of something new to piece…
Just curious...any idea how you'll quilt it? I'm looking for ideas for mine.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:02 AM

Iceblossom, I have been in the same predicament as you where I over cut or underestimated fabric for a project…hope your neutral is delivered timely.

Gemm, your string quilt is wonderful and colorful…I do like it set on point.

I did not get anything done in my sewing room yesterday…I discovered (via email) that I had some pre-course assignments for my upcoming Real Estate Associate Broker course which begins online this week. I spent 5 hours at the kitchen table reviewing Maine laws and regulations from my initial real estate class which I embarked on almost 2 years ago and taking several quizzes. But now I’m all set for Thursday’s class and can sew quilt free until then. 😜