Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need tips to keep my needle from getting glue on it >

Need tips to keep my needle from getting glue on it

Need tips to keep my needle from getting glue on it

Old 01-19-2022, 08:48 PM

Default Need tips to keep my needle from getting glue on it

Just made a quilt and loved basting it with quilt glue spray. It's good stuff-paid $10 for it and it worked great. But, even my walking foot on a new Baby Lock Soprano skipped stitches and I could feel the sticky on the needle. Is there a tip or something to do differently? Thanks.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:55 PM
Power Poster

You must use only spray that is made for quilting like 505 or similar. What product did you use?
Old 01-20-2022, 01:58 AM

Oh, I've had that happen too. Two suggestions: (1) you might be spraying too much quilt spray when you sandwich your quilt. (2) I use a alcohol wipe to get the extra glue off my needle and sometimes in the bobbin area. You'll see a cloudy mist if it needs removed from there too. I've used June Tailor (which I really like) and 505 (which is my favorite but most expensive.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:14 AM

There is a nonstick Teflon needle that you can use. I have had good luck using one when stitching wonder under
Old 01-20-2022, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

The non stick needles made by Schmetz are what I use when I glue baste or use fusible.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:04 AM

Another tip is to wait a day before quilting to allow the spray to dry. 505 is the best - least odor least gumminess!
Old 01-20-2022, 08:27 AM

I love spray basting, but almost all of us at least start with way too much product. You shouldn't be able to see the spray, or feel it as either damp or cool spots as you are sandwiching.

As Quilting Vagabond suggests, if your needle is gumming up the best thing is simply let everything sit a day or two before going back to work and it should be better.

Sometimes our time crunches don't allow that. In that case, keep some nail polish remover (or rubbing alcohol) and cotton balls and wipe off the needle as needed.

I always wash my quilts before giving them -- I like to have at least a week between my expected done date and the giving date just in case of too much spray. Be warned that if you wash them too gooey you can have problems with lint and such sticking to the quilt top, that can usually be rubbed off or washed again.
Old 01-20-2022, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
You must use only spray that is made for quilting like 505 or similar. What product did you use?
It's called Tailor Quilt Basting Spray by June Tailor Inc. Sounds like I need 505.
Old 01-20-2022, 08:45 AM

I did use a lot--it was my first time. It was Tailor. Maybe I used too much. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2022, 08:51 AM

Thank you everyone for all the tips! I had made a few quilts in the early 90's when my kids were babies and now I am an empty-nester with a craft room and getting back into it. Things have changed so much and I am mixing my old experience with new techniques too! This is a great group!