Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about color catchers >

Question about color catchers

Question about color catchers

Old 01-20-2022, 02:41 PM

Oh, I loved those original cloth color catchers and did many tests using them versus terry cloth and such - whatever it was, they worked better. They've been the disposable type for many years -- probably because you need to keep buying them.

I've used the various brands, typically I get the Carbona large pack but I also got some from the Dollar Store and ran some tests and was happy with them too.

I don't put much faith in them picking up dye that is lost, I use them when I prewash to show how much dye is being cast off and whether it is in my comfort level or not.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Do you use warm or cold water when prewashing fabric with Color Catchers?

I don't normally prewash and am trying to learn all I possible can. I know you use hot water with Retayne...but what if I am using a Color Catcher? I washed some red with Color Catchers four times, and each time they came out red....but I used warm water. Should I have used cold water?

Thanks for any info.

Dina
I don't pre-wash any of my fabric (and, thank goodness, I've never had one quilt to bleed. I do use only good quality quilt fabric. Before I gift a quilt, I always wash in cold water with Shout color catchers (queen size - I use 4 color catchers). If it's a smaller quilt, less. I've never had to use the color catchers on the next washing for the quilts I've kept for myself.
LaDonna
Old 01-21-2022, 07:51 AM

I would wash the fabric with the colour catcher using the same settings that will be used to wash the quilt it will be part of.

I am a big fan of prewashing all my fabric, which then is wound onto comic book boards (I always buy 2 yards at a time, and I like to work from a big stash). I wash quilts in the warm water wash, cold rinse cycle, and dry with heat.

That means I have to pay attention during quilt construction because the quilts are going to get a good workout when laundered. I use a slightly smaller stitch length than "normal", and make sure everything is going to stay put.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:07 PM

I use the Carbona - it's not a brand preference, they're just slightly cheaper.

Always prewash Flannels and reds.