Scammers

Old 01-23-2022, 08:59 AM

Default Scammers

Today I received an email with Best Buy and Geek Squad logos on it stating that My subscription was being renewed on my credit card. Shortly thereafter I got another email from Norton lifelock is lifelock saying that my lifelock subscription was going to be charged to my credit card and to call to verify that I was renewing. In both instances there were 800 numbers at the bottom of the emails also a verification of secrecy and security concerning my credit card and any discussions they would have with me blah blah blah. I put the 803 the 809 and the 805 numbers in the URL address And the Internet had a list of topics that this was a scam.. Any time that you have an 803,809,805 area codes do not respond. I did call Best Buy and they wanted all the information and said never call any numbers that look like they're charging a credit card Or renewing something . Best Buy said to call the number that is on their website . They asked if I would forward the email to their security department so that's what I did.
From now on when I suspect it could be a scam or they instantly say they're charging my credit card I'm gonna look at the bottom of the email for those area codes. Thought I would pass this along since I read another similar post this morning.

Last edited by Lady Diana; 01-23-2022 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Thanks. I get a ton of those kinds of emails. I’ve learned just to ignore them.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:08 AM
mkc

Also never, EVER click on a link in an e-mail like that, especially one that is a "click/log in here" one. Those are to capture your login credentials and if spoofed for a financial institution could have devastating results.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:12 AM

Good catch @Ladydiana ! The weakest link in security is the user. The scammers are getting better everyday. The LifeLock one is scary, since they are supposed to be looking out for you!

Thanks for the info. We'll all keep a lookout.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
. Any time that you have an 803,809,805 area codes do not respond.
805 is a legitimate area code that includes Santa Barbara county in California. 803 is part of South Carolina. 809 is the Dominican Republic. These area codes do not necessarily indicate a fraudulent message.

However your primary message, that there are so many scammers out there, is very true. If you want to check to see if an account is going to be renewed automatically, login by going directly to the website, not through any link in an email. But don't automatically ignore the email if you have an actual account with that business. It may be a legitimate notification, and if you ignore it then your credit card will be charged for the renewal.

Old 01-23-2022, 03:03 PM

I had one in the last few days and it was an area code 901
Old 01-23-2022, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

So annoying!
Old 01-24-2022, 08:21 AM

I received an email yesterday saying that my next payment of $28.72 was due by Jan. 27,2022 on my Chase Credit Card. Now mind you I only have one chase card and the last 4 digits of the card are not even close to my own. I checked that out first thing. You just have to watch these scammers they go at us from all angles.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:33 AM

I don’t even bother checking junk like that. Nobody wants to give me money, a gift, or anything else. I’ve been told that if you open a scam email, sometimes the sender knows you opened it and therefore it’s a legitimate email address. Then the email address can be sold to other scammers. And, I rarely answer any phone call from a person not in my contact list. If it’s legitimate, the caller can leave a voice mail.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:19 AM

Default Scammers

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
Today I received an email with Best Buy and Geek Squad logos on it stating that My subscription was being renewed on my credit card. Shortly thereafter I got another email from Norton lifelock is lifelock saying that my lifelock subscription was going to be charged to my credit card and to call to verify that I was renewing. In both instances there were 800 numbers at the bottom of the emails also a verification of secrecy and security concerning my credit card and any discussions they would have with me blah blah blah. I put the 803 the 809 and the 805 numbers in the URL address And the Internet had a list of topics that this was a scam.. Any time that you have an 803,809,805 area codes do not respond. I did call Best Buy and they wanted all the information and said never call any numbers that look like they're charging a credit card Or renewing something . Best Buy said to call the number that is on their website . They asked if I would forward the email to their security department so that's what I did.
From now on when I suspect it could be a scam or they instantly say they're charging my credit card I'm gonna look at the bottom of the email for those area codes. Thought I would pass this along since I read another similar post this morning.
Better yet, click on the "Phishing" option under the "junk" tab to send these types of emails to Microsoft.