Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Moves on Cutting Mat >

Fabric Moves on Cutting Mat

Fabric Moves on Cutting Mat

Old 01-25-2022, 04:39 PM

Default Fabric Moves on Cutting Mat

I have seen posts on rulers that move while cutting fabric with a rotary blade, and for cutting mats that move when cutting fabric, but my problem is just a little different. I can’t seem to keep the fabric from moving slightly as I place the ruler onto the fabric. My rulers have lots of the nonslip dots on them, but the slippage occurs as I am trying to set the ruler down on a precise spot. There is no slippage after the ruler is completely on the fabric.

I have tried using the blue painters tape to secure the fabric edges to the cutting mat, but the edges with the tape tend to unravel a bit when the tape is lifted. The fabric movement is not so bad when I’m cutting from a larger piece of fabric, but when I’m trying to cut 2” x 10” strips I have problems positioning the ruler without the fabric moving out of position. Then I have to reposition the fabric and chase it with the ruler again. The ruler is 2 1/2” x 12 1/2”.

There must be an easier way to secure the fabric for accurate cuts on all sides. I have no problems with the mat moving.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions!
Old 01-25-2022, 04:56 PM

Just a guess, but I think your ruler is too small. Try a wider ruler and see if there is a difference. For me, the smaller ruler will tend to try to throw itself all over the place. With a wider ruler you have more to hold with your hand to keep the ruler and fabric straight, even as you are placing the ruler on the fabric.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Just a guess, but I think your ruler is too small. Try a wider ruler and see if there is a difference. For me, the smaller ruler will tend to try to throw itself all over the place. With a wider ruler you have more to hold with your hand to keep the ruler and fabric straight, even as you are placing the ruler on the fabric.
I agree. I think most people use a 24" x 6" ruler for cutting widths of fabric. But I still have trouble making multiple cuts. I tend to put a weight (litterally a Ziploc bag full of rocks) to keep the fabric from moving. I don't have a very long reach and this keeps it from moving around too much. I bought a ruler from Off the Wall that I like for strip cutting. It has two pieces so you can set the edge underneath and abut that to the edge of the fabric for cutting. So far I like it very much. I may still be off, but at least I am off the same amount for each strip.

Keep practicing. You'll find something that works for you.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:19 PM

I do not use the lines on the cutting matt usually to line up my fabric. I use my ruler. I will straighten the edge of the fabric; I will then place a piece of tape or one of those little removable tape arrows pointing to the line I am going to use. So, to cut a 2-inch strip, I would place arrows pointing to that line, line the edge of my fabric up with that two-inch line and make my cut (most of your fabric will not be under the ruler, just the two inches). The extra half inch on your 2.5-inch ruler would not have fabric under it. This method really secures the fabric under the ruler and I get a good accurate cut. Also, I find I like to use a bit wider ruler as it is easier for me to stabilize the ruler with my hand while making the cut.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:42 PM

I suppose I have never really paid attention if my fabric moves or not.... I'm like sewingpup, I just toss my fabric on the mat and however it lands, that's where it stays. (okay, maybe i'm not quite that carefree, but you get the idea!). if my fabric moves when I place the ruler, it doesn't really matter. I just shift my ruler around until its lined up. perhaps my fabric moves around like yours too, but it has never registered on my radar.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

I make sure the extra fabric is folded in an accordion manner up on my cutting mat. Any drag on the fabric over your table edge will cause slippage. I trim the cutting edge at the beginning and then just precede down the fabric cutting strips until it gets to the folded extra fabric.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:55 AM

My cutting space isn't all that big, and sometimes I have trouble positioning a large piece of fabric - multiple yards - so I cut or rip it into smaller chunks for cutting. This reduces the drag of the fabric. I also find that a smaller, wider ruler works best for me - 6.5" x 12.5" is my favorite.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:08 AM

All great tips and information…LadyAg, hopefully you will find one that helps you with your cutting accuracy. One of the reasons I love this board is the helpful members who share their experiences and ideas.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:19 AM

Along with some of the suggestions above, I find that if I stand up while cutting my fabric, particularly those long width of fabric cuts, I am more accurate. It seems so simple but standing gives you better leverage. When I get lax and try to just sit and cut, there is movement of the fabric or the ruler and inaccurate cuts. Using the weight, bag of rocks , is a good idea too. Made me think of Donna Jordan using the work out weight. Yup, it works!
Old 01-26-2022, 04:21 AM

If smaller pieces of fabric are giving you problems, a light starch might help.