Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Back to Sewing >

Back to Sewing

Back to Sewing

Old 01-25-2022, 03:23 AM

I think you did a fabulous job with your runner given the time you seem to have behind the needle. In addition to a walking foot, I sometimes have to adjust my presser foot (if your machine allows) when quilting layers with batting.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:08 AM

This is so pretty. I usually oversized my HST and then trim them down to size. The trick is to make sure your seams come exactly centered in the corners. Place the 45 degree mark of the ruler on the seam when trimming. It all takes time and practice. I have lost many points at the beginning. Sad to say I still do 🙁
Old 01-25-2022, 09:47 AM

first of all your table runner is beautiful. The only one that will see the imperfections is you. A walking foot may help you out when quilting your projects. When I was first learning to match a point to another piece so I didn't lose the point I depended on a straight pin to tell me were to stitch.
So many here are giving you great advise. Just keep doing what you are doing and with practice will come that perfection you are looking for.
P.S. I have been quilting for 30+ years now and have never made a perfect quilt. The Joy of Quilting is what it is all about.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:48 PM

I think your star points are just fine for where you are at in sewing! Even long time quilters still lose points every so often. The advice above is really good, I would also suggest that you "square up" your blocks in between steps. So, after you have made your half square triangle or flying geese, remeasure the unit and trim off anything that got wonky during the sewing and ironing process. this is also a good time to double check that you have a 1/4 inch available at the end of your points to put into the next seam allowance. This will help your seam lines look straighter and crisper when you put the units together into a block.
Great work! I think I had been quilting for about 3 years before I was confident enough to tackle anything that wasn't made up of squares! Keep going, you are on the right path.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

Honey58- your runner is beautiful!
I've been making quilts a long time and still lose points on occasion.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:50 AM

Your taberunner looks great to me. Keep at it. I agree with the others regarding using lots of starch before cutting and being careful with pressing so you don’t distort the fabric. I am in love with the oversizing method and Deb Tucker rulers and Bloc Loc rulers. Both make for perfect HSTs and they both have YouTube videos. I have sewn for 50+ years and did not think I needed a 1/4” sewing guide but I have found it invaluble. Good luck. I love piecing and quilting and have learned so much here.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:02 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

This may go without saying but I see on the side where I can see the point whenever possible.Then I can “ guide the seam “ just off the point a bit.sometimes just that little bit makes all the difference.
That said, points can be over-rated IMHO
Old 01-27-2022, 04:11 PM

Welcome back to the craft of sewing! The table runner looks great!!!
Old 01-28-2022, 08:43 PM

Smile Back to sewing

Thank you for the responses with such good advice. I have taken note of all the tips and suggestions received- using corn starch, squaring up the flying geese /blocks / chkg on the scant or full 1/4 " margins / using the 45 degree mark on the ruler( noticed that only after I read it ).
I have lots to work on .. to read up on "walking foot" and where to get it.
and of course -to keep my promise to myself that my next project will be made up of only SQUARES !!!