Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Die cutting machine? >

Best Die cutting machine?

Best Die cutting machine?

Old 02-07-2022, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
For $699.00 I can use that money to buy more material for Project Linus Quilts.
Just not something this quilter really needs.
It's a luxury, that's for sure. I bought one years ago and used it to cut 5" charm squares when I was making I Spy sets to sell. That was the only "mass production" I needed it for. This past Christmas when the sales were so good, I bought a 2.5" strip cutter and the Storm at Sea BOB. Maybe I'll get my scrap pieces cut into strips, finally.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:35 AM

As Lady Diane said, Accuquilt will create a die with your design, but it is very pricey! Too much unless you are doing a huge job and getting paid for it.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by aforristall View Post
Hello,
What is the best die cutting machine to cut fabric? Can you design your own art on your computer or tablet to cut or do you have to use a specific software design app?
Thanks
April
I have the accuquilt Go and Big Go and like them both. The dies are to expensive to use if you are only making a table runner or something small. But, a real time saver if you are cutting a quilt. I also have the brother scan n cut. I like it if you are only going to cut a few pieces and you can design your own pattern on the computer to be cut. It's wireless, so you just sent it from your computer to the cutter. But, you have to have special mats for fabric and sometimes the fabric needs to have a fusible backing on it. I have taken paper, sprayed it and put the fabric on that and it did work if I didn't want backing on it.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:27 AM
j50

Default Cricut

I have the Cricut Maker which uses a rotary cutter. Purchased seperatly. You can only cut one layer of fabric at a time. The beauty is that you can size to what ever you need.Keep multiple copies.. It is good for intricate cuts but not too small.

With Cricut soft ware you can design or us any svg. If you know how to use other svg software you can always import designs. You can upload as many designs you want for free. There are workarounds to using the Cricut access files for free. I make all of my own design. There are many free files online also. Fonts are great for appliqué. Many also for free on the internet.
The new machines are having problems but if you unbox and use them right away you can get a new replacement. I would not buy directly from Cricut. Either Joannes or Home Shopping Network so do not have a problem with returns.

This is not a machine if you want to just cut hundreds off squares or triangles.
2 fabric postcards I designed.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:51 AM
j50

Here are the postcards . I was timed out cause it took to long to edit. I would never have done this by hand .Thes e are 4x6 postcards.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:08 AM

Under the guidance of a LQS teacher I just finished a medallion quilt with over 1500 pieces. We used every die in the CUBE and I used my Accuquilt Go cutter. The pieces fit together so well! Our teacher demonstrated how to subcut and accordian fold fabric with very little waste...probably less than I would have wasted with mistakes using my rulers and rotary cutter. As a relatively new quilter, the cutting accuracy helped make up for my sewing skill level.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:27 AM

I bought a Studio 2 and have several of the dies. This was years ago. Then I got a Go! to use at our condo and I also bought the part that I can use the Go! dies in the Studio. I also have a Cricut, still learning how to use it to its potential. I was at an estate sale and bought a Go! for $25 and now have one at each place. I am very fortunate to have purchased the Studio and Go! when I did at reasonable prices.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:50 PM

I have the AccuQuilt Go system. I have 12" qube with the 2 accompanying qubes. This will allow you to make an infinite number of blocks that can actually finish larger than 12" in some cases. I have all 3 cutters for the Go system. I started with the Go (larger crank), and moved up to the electric since I have a rotator cuff problem. Once I placed an order large enough to get me a "Go Me". All of the qubes will fit in the smallest of their crank machines. A setup like this and a few strip cutters to include 21/4 or 21/2" strip die will give you binding. With a strip die you can cut a bazillion squares by subcutting the strips. You can make triangles, 45 degrees, and 60 degrees.

I've come to the point I'm done with buying dies unless it's a block on board I HAVE to have which may never bee the case since I have a qube setup. They seem to keep having fantastic sales but it seems like a good one they don't include mats. You have to have a mat to make the cuts. The only way to get additional mats is to buy them. Only qubes come with a 6x6" mat. Mats do wear out over time. It seems lately they only are coming out with applique shapes that are of virtually no interest. I have no children or grandchildren to sew for.

I've noticed lately they no longer "register" your dies you purchase directly from AccuQuilt. That means you'll have to make your own list or print out your current dies or they'll catch you and you'll order a double if you're not careful. It seems they're making it more difficult to return duplicate dies, I'm hearing that many LQS that do carry AccuQuilt are quitting because they can't compete witth the sales and promos that AccuQuilt keeps having. Shipping used to be $8 until our shipping problems started. Now it's $12. This only started when the post office raised their rates. They have always used FedEx for delivery and still do so why a $4 increase is rediculous IMHO..

There are thousands of free patterns on their website. You don't have to have the size qube that is mentioned, all qubes have the exact same dies, just larger or smaller. Qubes come in 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 12". If the pattern calls for a 6" qube and you only have the 10" then yours will just finish larger. You will also be able to cut up to 6 shapes with one pass of the die. If you have the electric cutter you can feed 2 6" qube shapes at a time.
Old 02-20-2022, 05:45 AM

Under the guidance of a really good quilter, I made a medallion quilt with over 1500 pieces. It was quite a challenge, but the Go cutter kept me sane so I could complete the quilt albeit a bit beyond my skill set. Thanks to the long armer it looks pretty good.