Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 02-17-2022, 06:14 PM

Here is what I wanted to use for my border. Do you think it is a too different color from my sashing?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rodendron Mystery Border.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	638025  
Old 02-17-2022, 07:30 PM

That is really cute, JeanieG. It looks very close in color to me, so I say go for it.

I keep thinking about those geese; I guess I must really want to make them, so I will do that after I finish putting together my A blocks and make the setting triangle units.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:52 AM

JeanieG, I really like the fabric you are thinking about for the border but I wonder if it takes away from the beautiful work you did on your quilt. For me it kind of steals the show instead of enhancing. If you really like it then you should go ahead and use it, just my two cents.
Old 02-18-2022, 05:18 AM

I like the fabric border you chose, colorwise it works fine in the photo. A light border will enhance the colors in the quilt. and not create a "float" effect of all that piecing. This fabric would make a great back. Of course, this quilt is huge. That would be alot of fabric.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:04 AM

JeanieG -- If you want the extra size from the extra border I say go for it! I wanted to say how nicely your Aqua/Garnet work together. My teal/purple are the same value so get lost but even your little tiny triangles are visible

Isn't it amazing the little differences that add up to different quilts?
Old 02-18-2022, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

Jeanie, I love that fabric but I don't think it enhances your beautiful quilt. Just my opinion, though.

I unpicked all the rows of Frolic last night. It wasn't that hard. I found 2 things:

I don't like a lot of my stitching- it looks rushed ( cut off points etc)
I don't like a LOT of the fabrics I used.
So........ not sure what will become of this thing. Every year I'm doing a purge of fabric I no longer like/want and this Frolic is
a perfect example of why I started that tradition.

But, happily, I love this year's result!! I only used fabrics I liked.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:51 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on the border fabric! I will think on it some more. It is still up on my display wall, and may stay there so I can look at it when I go into my sewing room! Decisions, decisions!!!
Old 02-18-2022, 12:32 PM

I don't think I like the rectangle of this quilt. I am so use to the square ones that Bonnie does, and when I just put this on my bed, the length is perfect, but the sides are too short! UGH Does anyone else have this problem? Now I don't know what to do!

Can someone tell me how much this quilt will shrink when It is quilted and washed?? I never paid that much attention because I found the square ones always fit just fine.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

Jeanie, what size bed are you talking about? Shrinkage varies. I can't really quantify that for you, sorry. I think though, maybe 5 %? My quilts never shrink a whole lot.
Old 02-18-2022, 03:05 PM

Default Square or Rectangle Quilts

[QUOTE=JeanieG;8538086]I don't think I like the rectangle of this quilt. I am so use to the square ones that Bonnie does, and when I just put this on my bed, the length is perfect, but the sides are too short! UGH Does anyone else have this problem? Now I don't know what to do!

[QUOTE]
I prefer to make my quilts square also! Reason? So that I can give them a quarter turn when I change sheets. Then the side that is close to our faces gets turned and doesn't wear out more quickly than the rest of the quilt. I also sit on my bed to put on shoes, etc, and had one (rectangle and directional) quilt wear out way too soon along that side.