Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotating cutting mat >

Rotating cutting mat

Rotating cutting mat

Old 02-18-2022, 05:56 AM

I bought one a while ago to get all the supposed benefits from it that everyone loves. but I just don't love it. I find it easier to use my standard cutting mat and just turn it around as needed. the problems I have with the "real" rotating mat is that the rotating mechanism in the center creates a very very minimal, but noticeable, hump in the center of the board, so that when I put my large square ruler on it to trim up a block, there is a bit of a wobble. Again, it is so minimal it probably shouldn't bother me, but it does. And, it turns well enough, but not as smooth as I'd like. Probably just being picky again, but I prefer to pull out my small standard non rotating mat and rotate it manually on my table.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:09 AM

umm...I have one, I do use it, but sometimes I just turn the whole thing as it does not rotate sometimes. I also use smaller regular cutting mat and just turn them. mine is fairly old, they may have improved them by now. Mine doesn't smell and I don't recall it smalling much. It is an Olfa. One thing I do like about it even when I don't use the turning feature is that the base does seem to stick to the table top a bit providing a more stable surface.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:11 AM

I hated my 1st rotating mat as it wouldn't stay on the bottom section when I turned it. Then at a quilt retreat I was at, I saw a round round that seemed to work great by Martelli. It also comes with a pressing mat. But of course Martelli is a bit expensive but just after getting home from the retreat, Martelli was having a sale so I jumped on getting that mat then. It's round, 16.5" across with a square marked in the center with increments of 1.0" up to 10.0". Very well made and I love it. So glad I got it when I did. Fairly lite weight too.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:43 AM

Juliemn1- I just ordered a 14 in omnigrid. Thanks for the site
Old 02-18-2022, 07:40 AM

I have been thinking about one of these for a very long time. I am now on the hunt for one. Thanks for all the valuable info and thank you Synnove for the great question. This has all been a great help.
Old 02-18-2022, 08:00 AM

I bought the 12" Olfa rotating mat a couple of years because I make a ton of scrap quilts too. It's one of the best quilting tools I have bought. I use it all the time and it is the perfect size for sitting right beside my sewing machine. I would say go for it!
Old 02-18-2022, 08:04 AM

I've had Fiskars & Olfa and had trouble with both of them. I then bought one from Martelli and it works like a dream plus it came with an addition top that you use for ironing. I waited for a good sale.
Old 02-18-2022, 08:35 AM

The Martelli rotating mat is far above any of the others. It’s just excellent.
Old 02-18-2022, 08:51 AM

I have the round Martelli and really like it.
Old 02-18-2022, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

I have used most all the different types and brands of rotating mats at retreats. The best one was the Martelli Roundabout. I have the large size one and now there is smaller size. I hear other quilters at retreats using the Martelli rotating mat say this is great. I have to get one of these. I see the square rotating mats on our guild free table several times a year. It does not tilt, get loose, or come apart in use, and turns smoothly. Watch for sales. The mat part is replaceable if needed.