Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt pattern suggestions for large print fabrics >

Quilt pattern suggestions for large print fabrics

Quilt pattern suggestions for large print fabrics

Old 02-22-2022, 09:51 AM

Default Quilt pattern suggestions for large print fabrics

I have several Alexander Henry fabrics that have rather large prints on them ( we are talking as large as 10 inch square). The images are glorious and I want to highlight them in a quilt but don't want to simply do fussy cut squares with sashing.

Does anyone have any quilt patterns they would suggest that could work? Or some ideas or inspirations I could look at?
Old 02-22-2022, 10:00 AM

I made this quilt for my grandmother after my grandfather passed and used his Hawaiian print shirts. I wanted the focus to be on the fabrics, not the quilt design. It's "Double Takes 4" by Heather Mulder Peterson (Anka's Treasures).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Grandma's quilt.png
Views:	374
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	638196  
Old 02-22-2022, 10:14 AM

I saw this here on QB in another post - and when my friend gave me this fabric I knew that this would be the pattern tp pop the fabric. Hopefully it will help inspire you and (sorry) I do not have a pattern name but could give you some direction on how I did it if you are interested -

Name:	Patricia_2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	638197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Patricia1.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	638198  
Old 02-22-2022, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I made this quilt for my grandmother after my grandfather passed and used his Hawaiian print shirts. I wanted the focus to be on the fabrics, not the quilt design. It's "Double Takes 4" by Heather Mulder Peterson (Anka's Treasures).

Oh I do like the shape of the focus blocks. Thank you for the inspiration. I will add that pattern to my list of possibles. Also, that quilt is just lovely <3 Beautiful work.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
I saw this here on QB in another post - and when my friend gave me this fabric I knew that this would be the pattern tp pop the fabric. Hopefully it will help inspire you and (sorry) I do not have a pattern name but could give you some direction on how I did it if you are interested -
This is very nice! Really highlights the fabrics. I hadn't considered off setting the blocks and sashing. Interesting and inspiring. Thank you.

Also, I love the quilting design on this! It echoes, enhances and compliments all at the same time.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Oh Peckish .... that is such an amazing quilt. What a treasure of memories for your Grandmother!

Magdellena ...
* use as a whole cloth for the backing?
* use as a whole cloth for the front, with coordinating borders?
* make a OBW, SAW or other kaleido patterns? Now, these will not the design as itself, however, I use the whole cloth as a border or backing in order to show the virgin fabric.

Not knowing how much you have of each of these fabrics, I don't know if these are realistic suggestions, or not?
Old 02-22-2022, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Oh Peckish .... that is such an amazing quilt. What a treasure of memories for your Grandmother!

Magdellena ...
* use as a whole cloth for the backing?
* use as a whole cloth for the front, with coordinating borders?
* make a OBW, SAW or other kaleido patterns? Now, these will not the design as itself, however, I use the whole cloth as a border or backing in order to show the virgin fabric.

Not knowing how much you have of each of these fabrics, I don't know if these are realistic suggestions, or not?

Oh! I hadn't even considered a whole cloth quilt. I MIGHT actually have enough of at least one of my fabrics to do just that. I will have to pull it out and make sure I have the yardage I think I do.

I have seen but never made a OBW but that is an interesting idea! Thank you so much for these suggestions. I have a lot to think about.

I love this forum <3
Old 02-23-2022, 06:27 PM

Jenny Doan has a tutorial on YouTube called "Irish Change" which specifically uses 10 in squares alternating with the "chains". it's on my bucket list
Old 02-24-2022, 02:29 PM

The FabricCafe.com (aka 3 yard quilts) has several patterns that work well with large prints.
Old 02-25-2022, 04:50 AM

Default Large Patterns

I just recently used a 3 yd quilt pattern from Fabric Cafe. It turned out nicely I think. I've used this particular pattern on 4 different quilts.

Originally Posted by BonnieJP View Post
The FabricCafe.com (aka 3 yard quilts) has several patterns that work well with large prints.

Name:	Camera Quilt.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	527.9 KB
ID:	638263