Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My blocks are too wonky! >

My blocks are too wonky!

My blocks are too wonky!

Old 02-23-2022, 02:40 PM

I found that even with a 1/4 inch foot, I could still move my needle a click or 2 in either direction, without causing the needle to hit the foot. That was a lifesaver. Also, double check to make sure that your machine is actually sewing a 1/4 seam. My travel Janome sews a fat 1/4 inch seam and I always have to adjust it.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:51 PM

Disclaimer: everything I know about accurate piecing I learned from Bonnie Hunter.
1. Place your ruler so that the measure line is ON the fabric (fabric edge showing past the ruler's line) not NEXT to the fabric. If you are confused by this let me know I will post a picture. This extra couple of threads will allow for the fold when you press the seam. I think you are already doing this when you say you overcut.
2. Make a test seam, then measure the size of the resulting unit. For example when you sew 2 strips that are 2 1/2" wide together the finished strip should measure 4 1/2". If it is smaller, adjust to make your seam narrower. If larger, make a slightly wider seam allowance. Recheck until you find the sweet spot. Remember - it's not important to have a perfect 1/4" seam, it's a perfect unit size that you want!
3. Before sewing the units together, make sure they are the size they need to be. The more pieces in your block, the more likely your block will come out the wrong size (usually too small).

All the other tips given are good too, but getting those pieces to be the right size before you assemble the block is the key. Good luck with your quilt!
Old 02-23-2022, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

I am wondering if your machine might be part of the problem. My machines are all " older " - so this may or may not be an issue with newer machines - but the lower layer( next to the feed dogs) would get " pulled" through at a faster rate than the top layer. There is an attachment available for many machines that minimizes this - and at the moment I am unable to think of what it is called.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I am wondering if your machine might be part of the problem. My machines are all " older " - so this may or may not be an issue with newer machines - but the lower layer( next to the feed dogs) would get " pulled" through at a faster rate than the top layer. There is an attachment available for many machines that minimizes this - and at the moment I am unable to think of what it is called.
Are you referring to the "walking foot"?
Old 02-23-2022, 05:47 PM

I like everyone else's suggestions, but I may add this: make sure you are cutting on grain (or, for me, "close enough" to on grain.). When I first started quilting, I did not understand grain and bias and ignored it all. I still ignore it when I'm lazy, but When I actually pay attention, it does make a difference. That may contribute to why your fresh cut squares don't match up even before you sew.
Old 02-23-2022, 06:57 PM

Accuracy takes practice. Both in cutting and sewing!

It helps to:

-use a non slip ruler (watch some videos on how to cut accurately with rulers...there are tips and tricks)

-prewash and press your fabric...spray starch also helps

-use very fine pins when pinning to minimize distortion issues (I like the Clover Fine Patchwork pins)

-use a needle plate with a single small hole for the needle, not the zig-zag plate

-see if your feed dogs feed evenly...many don't hold the fabric straight enough as the seam ends (hold the end in place as you sew if that is the issue)

-put a 1/4"guide down on your machine bed, either layers of masking tape or a sticky on one side vinyl or plastic guide

-use "leaders and enders"

https://www.allpeoplequilt.com/how-t...erfect-14-seam
Old 02-24-2022, 05:00 AM

I watch youtube videos and it always amazes me how they don't pin, don't press other than finger pressing and sew fast and still their work comes out perfect. What's their secret I want to ask.
This always amazes me...but note that they do not always show how things line up! Regardless, I was doing a log cabin from Jordan and decided to try finger pressing. I had done the pattern before and figured I could do it like she does. NOT In comparing the runner where I did iron press I saw a big difference. On camera things always look good...they have to show us the best so that we can set our standards higher than our developmental level.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:30 AM

I see nothing at all "wrong" with your star block. It just needs to be squared up. You have left enough room to trim and not end up chopping off points.
But, here's just a bit of an idea/suggestion. If you are going to be really precise/picky, take a look at the cross-wise vs the straight grain. If you are joining cross to straight there is opportunity for the cross-wise to stretch ever so much and create some wonky appearance. Try to join straight to straight and see if it makes a difference for you.
Love the pattern you found in the magazine and want to make! Great pattern.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

If your machine won't sew over seams, have you loosened the pressure foot? Check your owner's manual for directions.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:57 AM

Your blocks look fine to me. If your seams are too bulky maybe, you need to stagger the direction of the seams but the picture you posted looks fine to me. Remember, there will be more than 1 of these stars and they will cover a bed and I doubt if anyone is going to inspect each individual star. They will enjoy the overall appearance of the quilt.