Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Most self- critical about? >

Most self- critical about?

Most self- critical about?

Old 02-25-2022, 04:49 PM

Bindings that are not flat.
Old 02-25-2022, 07:05 PM

Since I am basically non-competitive, imperfections don't bother me much. I love bright colors, especially clear reds, blues and emerald green and don't object to a touch of yellow. My idea is better finished and used for whatever its purpose was when I started or whatever its purpose is now! I love to go to quilt shows and shops where there are lots of original ideas because it validates my own original ideas. On the other hand, my favorite blocks are Dresden plates which is about as traditional as you can get.
Old 02-25-2022, 07:40 PM

I think it is the cutting of the fabric. Once cut, I can't fix it. It's for the scrap pile. I was cutting out squares the other day and suddenly realized that I was cutting a few of them an inch shorter, until I caught myself. My line of site on my ruler had shifted to the wrong 1/2 inch line. Cursed myself for not using my marking tape on my ruler, since it was a constant repeat of cutting.

As for the rest, if it is the sewing part or quilting part I can always rip it out to fix it..
Old 02-26-2022, 03:29 AM

I always strive to do my best in all steps of the quilt process…and sometimes finished is better than perfect.

What about you bearisgray?
Old 02-26-2022, 04:34 AM

After many years of making quilts, and a lot of "un-making", I have just about accepted my quilt making is not perfect, but it is what it is. I'm just going to keep on, and who knows, maybe someday I might see the bottom of the stack of UFO's
Old 02-26-2022, 04:48 AM

As far as the pattern and color I don't really care if it's a charity quilt, it's not something I'm keeping for myself or as a gift. I always try to make sure the colors go together unless its a scrappy quilt. I do the best I can regardless of where the quilt will be going. I'm a stickler for pressing seams, I wash and dry and iron all fabric before I use it. I do quilt my own quilting and binding, my old arthritic hands makes it a bit difficult but I'm happy with the results.
Old 02-26-2022, 05:26 AM

None of my quilts are perfect. In fact, most have a mistake too big to fix, but can't be seen from 10 feet away. I love learning new stuff; I didn't know what I didn't know before this amazing wealth of information site! I guess I absolutely must have my intersections match up. Mitered corners have moved from atrocious to acceptable, but still striving for practice makes perfect.
I am very picky about my fabric. I have a small budget, but I buy top shelf fabric that appeals to me. The pricey part of quilting is my time, and I try to spend it wisely!
Old 02-26-2022, 05:56 AM

My one rule of thumb is pressing and squaring up the pieces. I try to put all elements of quilting into perfection but I frequently come up a bit short. There is always at least one error in my quilts. I always try my best.

Old 02-26-2022, 06:34 AM

Since I don't necessary follow a printed pattern, I like to create my own. I feel that once you know the many different blocks, you can make those blocks into whatever you want.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:47 AM

"Perfection" is a very subjective term. For myself, perfection is something I strive for with every quilt and rarely achieve. I need to have intersections that match. But like Tallchick, I give myself three tries and then live with the result. I make a lot of scrappy quilts because I am always second guessing my colour choices. I do not find 'big block' quilts challenging or interesting. I am probably my worst enemy in pattern choices, because I often bite off more than I should chew, considering my expertise.