Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trying to keep costs down >

Trying to keep costs down

Trying to keep costs down

Old 02-21-2022, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I just gifted by sister-in-law a quilt that she loved. It had a pieced binding and she thought it was amazing. I love pieced bindings mainly for the look but it also uses up scraps.
I love pieced binding too! In fact, I just finished a scrappy lap size top and was thinking about how to bind it. I decided to get the scraps out and bind it with the leftovers. It takes a bit of time, but I love the look and, YES, it uses up scraps!
Old 02-26-2022, 03:50 PM

I have a good sized stash and always buy on sale from Hobby Lobby or the LQS or my favorite place… dead quilters’ sales. I hit a poorly advertised one last summer and came away with fabric bundles from the LQS or kits for 17 quilts! If I had paid full price, it would’ve been $1500+ of fabric and I paid $25. I went back the following weekend and spent $2 on patterns that I sold on eBay for $60.

I also love scrappy quilts and don’t mind a pieced back. Part of the fun of quilting is mixing and matching my stash to make something beautiful.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

I make loads of quilts per year... probably upwards of 40... and I'm not rich. Most of the ones I make are throw sized, to give to a charity. I buy for my stash when I can find good fabric for $5 or $6 a yard, or less. Mostly online auctions, clearance sales, and stash reduction sales by individuals. And I have a ton of scraps that I have cut into precuts.

I buy batting by the big roll from Marshall's Dry Goods. It's not expensive.

Backings will be pieced or may be a nice cotton sheet. I'm always on the hunt for those.

I do my own quilting. The note on my Juki sitdown longarm is $94 per month.
Old 02-26-2022, 07:30 PM

This has been interesting to read and most of us are all the same. Home bodies, do not go out to eat, do not go on expensive vacations, Watch the sales, use scrap batting, I do sell some of what I make and I am making quilts now for all nieces and nephews. I love this hobby and I do have a stash of fabric and just ordered backing by the roll MDG. I also bought a roll of batting on sale from Joann's. We are all having fun and doing what we want if retired.
Old 02-27-2022, 01:00 PM

My family buys me gift certificates for Christmas, birthday, Mother's Day. A few fabric purchases with those will keep me busy for a long time. I also make quilts from scraps, strings, and crumbs. Lightweight clothing from thrift stores or yard sales will yield many yards of fabric for little money.
Old 02-28-2022, 01:18 PM

Default I have no idea

I quit quilting about 8 years ago, I’m not even sure, but a long time ago and partly because I got sick of the expense. It’s ridiculous. I also think quilters must be rich. I’m not married and it’s just my income. My car is old, but have other expenses besides quilting. I cant afford a longarm nor will I pay a week’s salary to have a quilt done. I would rather stitch by hand if it comes to that. The manufacturers must be laughing to the bank, but if quilters will pay an average of 13 a yard, then that is on us. I remember when I was in my teens, we sewed to save money, but not anymore. I just started quilting again recently, so I could make small charity quilts because I enjoy it, but unfortunately I don’t have a hubby or a daddy to throw money my way. As a single mom, this a hobby that many can’t do. My machine broke last weekend and will cost more than it’s worth to fix it. The sales lady shows me $6,000 machines. Why in the world would most people need a machine like that. It must be fun to be rich. I missed the boat somewhere. Another thing, this is hobby tha has the most wonderful helpful people, but I have also met the biggest snobs that I have seen put people down because they couldn’t afford the best. You know who I’m talking about. For the most part, I love most quilters and glad to be quilting again. I feel like a new beginner all over again. I still have fabric from 10 years ago and now it’s ugly. What was I thinking? Lol happy quilting all.

Old 02-28-2022, 06:01 PM

When your single with just one income and struggling to pay the bills, quilting as a hobby can be very difficult. That is if you go into drool mode at the sight of all the new beautiful fabrics in current day collections. I know we can always find fabric at yard sales and thrift stores, but how lovely will those quilts be? You might be able to occasionally find some pretty fabric, but how many will coordinate and go together when you want to make your quilt. It's a good thing that scrappy is in vogue now.

I for one want to make every quilt given to someone whether charity or family member beautiful, and sometimes that can be difficult on a strict budget.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Schill93 View Post
I know we can always find fabric at yard sales and thrift stores, but how lovely will those quilts be? You might be able to occasionally find some pretty fabric, but how many will coordinate and go together when you want to make your quilt. It's a good thing that scrappy is in vogue now.

I for one want to make every quilt given to someone whether charity or family member beautiful, and sometimes that can be difficult on a strict budget.
Have you looked at some of Sewbizgirl's quilts? She makes some of my favorite quilts on this board from the fabrics that she listed above. I, for one, don't believe you have to buy expensive new fabrics and collections to make beautiful quilts. In fact, I don't often use collections. I like the unique look and the challenge of putting together my own "collection" for my quilts and wearables. I don't have a defeatist attitude towards not having as much money to spend on quilting as I'd like. I just use the fabrics that I have. I've bought very few fabrics in the last few years. I have pics on my sewing room wall of quilts I like. Some I like the pattern. Some the colors. I can copy both by using a bit of ingenuity and hard work. I love doing that! Maybe it comes from not often having things easy. I learned I can have what I want by using my head and working hard when I don't have money to make it easy.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:49 PM

I also prefer to make my own collections. I will mix and match fabrics from a variety of places. As for my charity quilts, most recipients are not artists that expect colors to work together perfectly. It just makes me happy to make something to bring a smile to a face. FMQ and I do not get along. Straight line quilting is the best I can do
Old 02-28-2022, 07:07 PM
Power Poster

Oh yohkos. Fabric is everywhere. Scraps are everywhere. Dead quilter's stashes are everywhere and in need of re-homing. I suggest anyone in need of fabric to sew, get involved in a local group or guild. Networking is a great way to find cheap fabric. Often it will be given to you free in a group setting. It takes a little ingenuity, but sitting around complaining won't get you there.

Sewing machine died and you can't afford the $6000 replacement? Then what are you doing in the new machine store? I have a herd of vintage machines that I found at flea markets and estate sales for a pittance. I have some really great Singer 301s that I paid $25 for, in the original cabinets, because somebody got old and their family just wanted to get rid of them. They are the most pleasant machines to sew on! And they last forever with a little regular cleaning and oil.

The women on this board (and some men...) are a resourceful and creative bunch. You won't find much sympathy here in complaining you don't have a sugar daddy to buy things for you.