Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Most self- critical about? >

Most self- critical about?

Most self- critical about?

Old 02-26-2022, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I mostly do "simple/easy" quilts.

But - i am picky about the whole process- starting with soaking the fabrics in hot water to making sure the binding is "filled".

I have decided that there is no need to point out a glitch/anomaly - although if it is at an easily fixable stage,, i appreciate someone mentioning it so that I can do something about it.

Actually, I am fairly happy with the quults I have made. Have any of them been show stoppers? No, but they will not fall apart with ordinary use.

I do fear bleach, burns, and tears.

Thank
Old 02-26-2022, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

My biggest mistakes come from going too fast no matter where in the process I happen to be. Slowing down makes all the difference. I have many examples of being too hasty!
Old 02-26-2022, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

I am critical about fabric choice for the pattern. I can sew a quilt to be acceptable with flat borders. If my fabric choice is wrong it will be a big mistake.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:04 AM

This is an interesting question, and one that seems to bedevil quilters more than other artists/makers. I think it is complicated for quilters as there is a tradition/cultural pressure to "quilt thrifty" with repurposed fabrics and no "waste". I think there has also been an issue with quilting being the province of women who did not have any say in the household budget, forcing them to quilt on a shoestring.

It seems to me those pressures worked to prevent many quilters from taking chances, and making the kind of experiments you must make to grow as an artist and maker.

As in all things, what you focus on depends on your goals. When I started quilting I did traditional quilts based on quilt kits and patterns that demanded a high degree of accuracy to complete...so accuracy and basic skills were my preoccupation at that time.

As I gained competence I realized I wanted to develop the confidence to choose my own fabrics, so I took courses in colour and design, and improv/round robin quilting, to hone the appropriate skill set....so colour and design were my focus then.

Now I am taking a lot of time to learn free motion/longarm quilting, which is a whole other skill set.

I deliberately chose to quilt knowing it was a focus I could take into very old age with me...something I could do even if confined to a chair. There are so many techniques and skills to learn and master I will never run out of challenges!

FWIW the things I tell new quilters speak to this question:
1. have patience with your own learning curve
2. don't point out all your mistakes...heck don't point out *any* of your mistakes!
3. celebrate what you like best about your work
4. have fun, enjoy the whole process (even folding washed fabric is meditative)
5. do what excites you and brings you joy
Old 02-26-2022, 11:11 AM

Seems that years ago I read that quilters purposely did not make a "perfect" quilt because only God is perfect. I'm sticking with that.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by pennyhal2 View Post
Seems that years ago I read that quilters purposely did not make a "perfect" quilt because only God is perfect.
Oh that old saw again. I like to think that God would want me to try my absolute hardest to be my absolute best. I love challenges; rising to them gives me a sense of purpose and accomplishment. However, having said that, I do not beat myself up when I make a mistake, or something doesn't turn out quite like I had envisioned. I laugh about it, view it as a learning experience, or both.
Old 02-27-2022, 05:52 AM

I really struggle with this. I am a perfectionist but my work is not perfect. I am known as the "unsewing queen" of my sewing group. The problem is it often seriously impedes my progress and productivity.
​​​​
Old 02-27-2022, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

I sometimes redo mistakes I make in a quilt. It's not that important for me. it's a quilt. I enjoy the process more then the finished result.
Old 02-27-2022, 06:30 AM

Try the Sharon Shambler method for binding. Also, I find the border strips make the difference. For borders I lay the border fabric across the middle of the quilt and cut to fit. I find this method more accurate than actual ruler measure and never nave wavy borders.
Old 02-27-2022, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

aggie- thanks for the tip about borders. I'm going to try it.