Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed in charm squares >

Disappointed in charm squares

Disappointed in charm squares

Old 02-15-2022, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
All precuts are made from yardage. If you buy name brand precuts it's cut from the same fabric sold on the bolt.
Yes, this is true.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:15 PM

I've been disappointed with some of my precuts. Some have all different fabrics, others do not. I've found that when using precuts that I have to shop for more fabrics to "round out" the the color scheme. I Other precuts really do have all different fabics. Now I only shop on sites that actually show all the fabrics in the pack.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

Most precuts are all the fabrics in one fabric line. Most have duplicates as fabric lines rarely have 44 different fabrics patterns. I buy precuts to get all the fabric pattern in that fabric line. Most quilt shops do not carry all the different fabric in one designer line. I can always add a solid to blend with the fabric.
Old 02-15-2022, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

I buy a lot of fat quarter bundles (my weakness) and they are from a line. Most are between 21 and 30 or so fabrics. I'm a real sucker for those coordinates I don't always use them exclusively in a quilt, may add or subtract some but it's a lot of fun for me.

What bugs me about pre-cuts are the ones with pinked edges.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

Yes love the fat quarter bundles! Just looking at a tower of fatquarters fill me with motivation.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:59 AM

The only precuts I order now are from Jordan Fabrics and my LQS. The precuts don't have pinked edges and the fabric is high quality. My LQS will cut a quilt pattern in any size I want, and the cost is minimal. My daughter asked me to make her a quilt and I told her I would buy the fabric, but she wanted to buy it herself. She went to Joan's Fabric and the fabric she bought had a low thread count. The white felt like the thin fabric I use for interfacing. She cut out a lot of the fabric, but I struggled with that quilt, and I am not pleased with it, but it is finished. I made up my mind that if I am going to put hours of work into a quilt, then I will make sure the fabric is worth the time and effort.
Old 03-04-2022, 03:40 AM

sounds like a Chinese knock off seller! I buy precuts from Green Fairy Quilts all the time and there is never a nasty smell and the jelly rolls, charm packs etc are all the usual name brands.

I wouldn't shop from that place again!
Old 03-04-2022, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
In the past I have found pre-cuts not to be cut correctly, thin, etc. So I've quit buying pre-cuts and just cut from my stash. True, it's a lot more work but I know they're cut correctly plus I like to starch all my fabrics before I cut into them so I'm able to do this too.
I agree! Charm squares especially seem to be wonky and not always a true 5" square. I do like using mini-charms occasionally, though as they add nice variety of a quilt. I try to stick to Moda for them.
Old 03-04-2022, 03:59 AM

Lindaschipper, mkc and Austinite, the name of the online store is JellyRollFabric.net....not jellyrollfabrics.net.....there is no S in the website name. Type in the correct name and you'll see that it is an official business and not just and individual or chinese knock off seller. I have ordered many times from them and have always been pleased. It seems like all fabric today is thinner, even my LQS fabric is thinner. The manufactures of the fabric are cutting back just like everything else. I noticed how thin clothing from is also getting. It doesn't seem to matter if it's from Kohl's or Nordstroms.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:36 AM

I have only started discovered precuts recently in terms of buying them. I love the fact that I get a bit everything in the fabric line so have a huge variety that all intermatches. No more surprises when I get my fabric into other light and discover I really don’t like it together! I like everything I have ordered so far but know that it will a least match color wise which makes buying by mail easier for me.

The only complaint I have had is the lint jelly rolls etc have. Between keeping my machine clean and bothering my eyes I wasn’t happy the first time I used one of my collection. Someone (I can’t remember who) in the quilt blog world had a solve that works, you throw your jelly roll unbound in the dryer for a few minutes cleaning the lint catcher every couple of minutes at first. An eye popping amount of lint came off off the two hunny buns I did recently. They come out in a bit of a tangle but are still easy to regroup in a few minutes. The pinking edges fray a bit so my fabric looks sort of old but it’s easy to sew. No lint in my eyes. It’s a win! Lol