Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 770 and Glide thread >

Bernina 770 and Glide thread

Bernina 770 and Glide thread

Old 03-08-2022, 03:42 PM

Default Bernina 770 and Glide thread

I am pretty new to both my Bernina 770 and quilting. I have read the many positive reviews for Glide thread in quilting, and would like to try this. I have not found any recommended machine settings for use with this thread, however.

Could any of you tell me what stitch number, stitch length, needle type/size, and top tension settings you use for either walking foot quilting or free motion quilting? I realize optimal settings may vary between individual machines, but it would be so helpful to have a good starting place!

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Old 03-08-2022, 07:18 PM

I'm currently doing a test using So Fine from Superior which I think is pretty comparable -- but I don't know. I have a (modern/computerized) Bernina 820 and for piecing prefer to use a 10 needle, my piecing stitch is set at 1.9 (machine turns on/defaults to 2.5). I have the built-in walking foot that it is typically engaged while piecing.

Typically my defaults are pretty good, but I'm noticing I have to do some changes when the humidity is high -- or maybe it is just my imagination but this machine spent the first part of its existence in Arizona and now is in moist Seattle.

Can't give you any of my quilting changes off the top of my head, but typically I don't have to change much in the way of tensions or anything. When I'm using the BSR (bernina stitch regulator), I typically just use the round standard foot.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:00 PM

I would just get a practice sandwich and try it out. Glide is a 40-weight thread. I have a Bernina 590 and I would basically follow my manual for setting up for the quilting you want to do. Bernina also has a lot of videos and the mastery workbooks on the website also plus if you google your questions more pop up. I have used Glide just a bit when long arming as I have a ton of So Fine, I usually quilt with. It is a nice thread, very little lint. The only adjustment I have had to make is doing my starting and stopping as the thread is slippery. So when I want to anchor it at the start or the end, I make more tiny stitches than I do with So Fine (I dont knot or bury my threads, just do some tiny stitches instead.) I really don't think you will have to make many adjustments if at all. You might want to make sure you are using the quilting stitches in the quilting menu for stitches. Bernina's have so many features and choices to set up your machine exactly the way you want to use, that it does take a while to learn how to use them.