Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed with Missouri Star  :( >

Disappointed with Missouri Star :(

Disappointed with Missouri Star :(

Old 03-08-2022, 01:48 PM

Default Disappointed with Missouri Star :(

A couple months ago my dh bought a 108 fabric backing to finish a quilt he had made. With the holidays and the whole family down with Covid.... I just washed it this past week. We discovered two pencil sized holes in the middle of the backing as well as what looks like a 2 inch cut about 6 inches in from one selvage (It looks like someone dinged it with a rotary cutter.)

I have 3 yard of 108 wide backing that is unusable for the quilt! UGH! I contacted them and was told that they don't accept returns after 30 days.

Learn from my mistake.... if you buy online, open it and wash it ASAP just in case there's something wrong with it! (Although I also don't think they would've taken it back since it had been washed). So at least open it and INSPECT it ASAP. I'm out about $75.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:50 PM

That is so frustrating! I hope it is something you can use on the front of a quilt one day.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:05 PM

I bought 5-3 yard 108 Backings from Keepsake quilting and when I went to use the first one I was so off grain I lost over 6 inches and could not use it for my king size quilt. Lots of lesson’s learned when buying fabric especially backings! I had another from another place that was over 24 inches off, they cant tell me they didn’t notice that! I don’t order from either place anymore, people are cutting but no one is checking!
Old 03-08-2022, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

Disappointing for sure! The small holes may be clothes moth damage and would not show up until washed. As for not using it, I would add some appliqués.
Old 03-08-2022, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Disappointing for sure! The small holes may be clothes moth damage and would not show up until washed. As for not using it, I would add some appliqués.
I agree. Be creative and use the fabric.
Old 03-08-2022, 03:45 PM

for a moment i thought it was a quilting problem. they do long arm quilting but their statement says they make mistakes because they are human. I know, but what?
Old 03-08-2022, 08:24 PM

The few times I've bought wide backings I've lost a lot at the ends because of being off grain, plus to me they are a pain to prewash and iron! I'd rather deal with seaming regular width fabric for backing.

Daffy
Old 03-09-2022, 02:56 AM

I haven't had a lot of luck with wide backings for the same reason, they aren't wound straight on the bolt so I end up way way off. I have gone back to either using a sheet or piecing a backing out of yardage or muslin.
Old 03-09-2022, 03:50 AM

I won't order from 'M any more due to their shipping time. One order took over a month, one I finally cancelled it was taking so long.

I'm hesitate to order from KP as well. Their customer service isn't very customer friendly, when you have an issue.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:04 AM

If you are disappointed in the quality of the product tell them! Call the help number on the site. They will want to know if what is being sent out in their name does not meet their standards and your standards. It may have been a bad bolt or a careless employee who did the cutting.

I made a call to MSQC because of a package that had not arrived and they replaced it immediately and it arrived in just a few days.. In the end the original package arrived many weeks later having been on quite a journey sent here and there across the company by the shipper. When asked if they would like it returned, they said "No, Use it,. Thank you for letting us know there was a probl

For those who have had delivery problems MSQC, I don't order much or often but the last thing I ordered in early in January arrived in 6 or 7 days. I was pleasantly surprised.