Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New to quilting and this board, Needing expert advice >

New to quilting and this board, Needing expert advice

New to quilting and this board, Needing expert advice

Old 02-23-2022, 07:58 PM

While I think you have done a wonderful job, it has been my experience if I see something that bothers me, I can’t be satisfied if I don’t fix it while I can. Nobody likes to take out seams and redo, but you’ll find that the little time it takes to fix is worth much more than the dissatisfied time you think about it. I would take out the square above the cross and replace it with one of your darker squares. Although I see the two gray with white dots on the right that are together, it really doesn’t stand out or bother me as much. If you’re happy with it then leave it. If not, it wouldn’t be any harder than redoing the top square above the cross. You only have to unpick about half way the seam on only the connecting squares around.
I remember when I first started smocking garments. My stitches were not up to par, so to speak, and I was slow so I hated the thought of having to take them out and resewing them. I was self taught and worked with another lady that did smocking. I am glad she told me to take them out and restitch. It taught me to take pride in my work and try harder to do it right the first time.
Only you can decide what to do in your case. I do want to encourage you to keep piecing, because really you have done well for a first time piecer. Are you planning on quilting yourself? I really think you could do it and you would gain more experience and confidence. Good luck -Toogie
Old 02-24-2022, 04:47 AM

I think it is sweet. And although you see mistakes, I do not and neither will your friend. My quilting friends are always affirming when I finish a project even though there are many mistakes. It takes awhile to get the muscle memory and the technique memory to work seamlessly. Enjoy the process, accept the compliments, and fret not over the imperfections.
Old 02-24-2022, 07:08 AM

Congratulations on your first quilt. It looks fine to me, and I can clearly see the heart and the cross. My quilt tops normally look much better once they are quilted. Enjoy this one and I hope you continue to quilt and enjoy the process. None of my quilts are perfect but unless I point out the flaws it seems none of the recipients notice them. They just love and enjoy the quilts I made out of love for them.
Old 02-26-2022, 07:00 PM

It's fine as is in my most humble opinion. Learn as you go. In fact, I am jealous that your seams lined up!!! It's a beautiful quilt top!
Old 02-28-2022, 03:04 AM

You did a fabulous job! My expert advice is when you gift your quilt to your friend, don't point out what you see as your mistakes. A non-quilter may never ever notice what is obvious to only you. I have quilted for years and every quilt I make has something I wished I could change or in other words, is never perfect. You also learn and grow as you make each quilt. Welcome to the Quilting world and enjoy your quilting journey!
Old 02-28-2022, 12:54 PM

I think your first quilt looks very nice. Don't rip it apart and redo. Your friend will never notice any imperfections.
Old 03-14-2022, 05:41 AM

In case you just cannot live with what you believe is incorrect, I did the following on one of my quilts.

I finished the top of a quilt and realized that I had sewn that section up side down. I had to fix it so I took the two blocks out and I ripped the seams about an inch and a half to give me "wiggle" room. I turned the two (attached blocks) around and then sewed them back into their spot in the quilt.

Take your time and it will be fine. Good luck in whichever choice you make. It is a lovely quilt!