Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Digitally printed repos? >

Digitally printed repos?

Digitally printed repos?

Old 03-19-2022, 04:19 AM

Default Digitally printed repos?

I am wondering how well the new digitally-printed 30s fabrics blend with the old ones and how we as quilters can tell one from the other online. Somehow, digitally-printed feedsacks seems like an oxymoron.

I bumped into this on FatQuarterShop, looking at Darlene Zimmerman's "Baskets of Blooms." Before ordering, I looked at the same photos on a few other sites, and just one said they were digitally-printed. I decided to email Kaufman Fabrics.

Someone replied within a few hours, saying that if there was a "D" in the prefex, it was digital, and sure enough, the Bloom line was digital.

I was looking last night at the Aunt Grace Sew Charming (or something like that) and apparently, the panel that goes with it is digitally printed. Are the individual fabrics as well? You'd think they would be, but it's not clear. My query to Marcus Fabrics hasn't been answered yet.

My oldest Aunt Graces are from 2000, I think, and I know that the 30s colors have gradually become brighter and more like non-repros, but if the digital prints are more saturated or have sharper lines, they will be very different.

Have any of you seen digital repros or tried to blend them? Or have a trick for identifying them? Grateful for any thoughts you can share.

hugs,
charlotte

Old 03-19-2022, 05:41 AM

I have so many from the late 90's and 2000's that it would be unlikely I would have a need to buy any more. However I would like to know more about digitally made fabrics. So much of this topic is foreign to me.
Old 03-20-2022, 08:30 AM

I don’t know anything, really, about digitally printed fabric. I had considered this method before because I would LOVE a Turkey red fabric with yellow accents for a circa 1860 quilt I’ve wanted to do for several years, but haven’t been able to locate a good reproduction. Is digital printing what the fabric artists do at Spoonflower?

Regardless of where the digitally printed fabric comes from, I would be worried about the colors fading over time. I had no idea that at least one major fabric manufacturer has incorporated digital printed fabric and not clearly marked the fabric as such.

I will follow this thread with interest.

Old 03-20-2022, 11:05 AM

For those that may be interested…..

https://www.americanquiltretailer.co...c-demystified/
Old 03-20-2022, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the link! I download the information and will read it this evening.