Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Azaleas – 2 month Boom Group Thread >

Azaleas – 2 month Boom Group Thread

Azaleas – 2 month Boom Group Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
GramE, love your new block for Macybaby. Don't forget there are still about 3 weeks until the blocks are due so you have some time. By my calculations, it looks like you've got most of your blocks done. Try not to fret about it too much.
So interesting!
Wow, GramE! What a block for TG! Another terrific block.
Thank you. I think I only have one to go and some hand sewing on Reba’s. I don’t stress about the sewing, it’s everything else that happens around here to get in the way of sewing!

Originally Posted by Libster View Post
Wow, GramE! I love TG's block!
thank you. I learned that doing paper piecing on freezer paper helps hold the fabric in place with pins!

Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
Yes a definite Wow GrammE. Love the design and your colors absolutely pop
Thank you. the pattern looks nothing like the finished product. But I saw airplanes! I’m gonna get a pad of those small sticky notes, maybe that will remind me about the needle!
Old 03-19-2022, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

Love that block, TG! It's positively atomic! Beautiful.
Old 03-19-2022, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

I don't like finishing and trimming a block to the exact 12.5", and then finding something I have to rip out and change. Once it's trimmed, it seems to never go back to the proper 12.5" again!
Old 03-19-2022, 12:44 PM

Isn’t that the truth. It just doesn’t seem to ever be as accurate.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I don't like finishing and trimming a block to the exact 12.5", and then finding something I have to rip out and change. Once it's trimmed, it seems to never go back to the proper 12.5" again!
Been working on my Boom 21 blocks, the gold and white ones. I’m Floating them on white but not liking the way it’s turning out. Too much white but I’m determined to finish it anyway rather than my usual stop and toss it aside. Maybe I’ll like it better when it’s a finished top. Maybe someone will want it.
Old 03-19-2022, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Maybe I’ll like it better when it’s a finished top. Maybe someone will want it.
For me, there always seems to be that 'falling out of love' period with a quilt top... When you get it quilted I bet you will love it again.
Old 03-19-2022, 02:06 PM

I missed some of the chatter, for some reason I wasn't getting notifications. Love TG's block too, GramE. It's really cool looking. And I told my sweetie, honey, I don't care where we live, or what kind of house we buy, I have only one requirement--a sewing room. LOL.

I know yellow and white can be tricky. I carried around yellow and white blocks for 2 years in my car until I found the perfect sashing fabric. It was on a shop hop and OMG, it was one of those EUREKA moments. Giddy with happiness. The blocks were vintage handwork and were so absolutely beautiful, I had to make something from them. The quilt turned out great, and I'm sure yours will too. Been thinking all day about what kind of sashing I will make for this boom and getting the blocks together, whether to make a larger medallion center or go with rows. Decisions, decisions. Hugs all!
Old 03-19-2022, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Sewbiz I have to take one of my blocks apart, sure hope it goes back together against without being kiddewhompus

Janice when your top is together and quilted bet you will love it
Old 03-20-2022, 04:40 AM

Exactly. I had a fabric all picked out for the quilt but then decided to use it in another quilt. Mistake. I had a heck of a time finding another fabric so I just finally (after years) went with white. Im already liking it better. It’s just so different from my normal settings. I keep telling myself to give it a chance. Lol.
Originally Posted by Rebaquilts View Post
…I know yellow and white can be tricky. I carried around yellow and white blocks for 2 years in my car until I found the perfect sashing fabric. It was on a shop hop and OMG, it was one of those EUREKA moments. Giddy with happiness…
Old 03-20-2022, 05:38 AM

I always like others choices, so once in a while I step out of my comfort zone and am rarely disappointed with the finished project. But along the way, I’m never quite sure. One of my first hand stitched quilts, on sale fabric I never would have noticed otherwise, is now my favorite and I’m so glad the many times I’ve thought about giving it to a raffle, I’ve always backed out. There is just a connection. I still have my first boom quilt, blue and white.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:27 AM

Love how the block turned out GramE.
this past week my brain went on vacation and didn't take me along! Truly - I was helping GramE by sending her some extra fabric so she wouldn't stress - and then afterwards realized I sent her the Begonia fabric! But she came through without any help on my end!!
I have been working on finishing up those UFOs. Sometimes the backing and sandwiching go so smoothly - and then the other times GRR. But I am getting there. Do not want to start anything without finishing something.
I sew on a huge desk that is inbetween my LR and DR. Stash is in the bedroom. Set up my ironing board and a table on risers by the table. My own corner of the house but can see everything. I do love it and its the one thing I will miss greatly when we go back on the road.