Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you love to paper piece. >

If you love to paper piece.

If you love to paper piece.

Old 03-27-2022, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Default If you love to paper piece.

At the AQS show in Branson this last week I watched the demo on the Cutterpiller Glow mat. I have seen them before but never thought I would use it much for tracing etc. Well then it was said it's great for paper piecing. Put the fabric over the pattern and cut the size you need, no guessing and no extra wasted fabric and pattern is not cut and a big time saver. A another quilter watching said that's why she bought one, it cut her paper piecing time in half. I bought one right then. I paper pieced a block this morning using it and it is a game changer for me. If anyone has one and don't use it much and likes to paper piece try it out.
Old 03-27-2022, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

I watched a video on YouTube and it does look neat. If I was just starting out and was looking to buy a cutting mat, it would be really nice to have. At this time in my quilting career with all the cutting mats and tools I have, I can’t see me purchasing one. If you did a lot of paper piecing as you mentioned, it would be great!
Old 03-28-2022, 02:41 AM

Onebyone, I’m jealous that you got to go to the show…I am happy that you discovered the Cutterpiller to make your PP easier. I was on the fence between that one and the Daylight Wafer light box (which you can also get a cutting mat). It sure beats putting your PP patterns up to with window. 😝
Old 03-28-2022, 03:27 AM

It might help to make PP faster, but for that price I'd rather buy fabric.
Old 03-28-2022, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

The show special was 10% off as tax was 10% in Branson and I got the two free ruler accessories with it. I paid $118. A lot less then a meal out with the family. We can stay home and eat sandwiches one time. LOL
Old 03-28-2022, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

I agree with your rationale!!

I don't like PP but if I did I would get one.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:36 AM

I don't do enough paper piecing to warrant buying another gadget. It sounds interesting though and this is one of those 'if I ever start to do..' I may consider it.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:59 PM

What I do is to use my ruler and place it on the next sewing line, slide it over to allow for the 1/4" seam allowance and the look at the size of fabric it will take to cover the new section plus the seam allowances on all other sides. Very rarely does that method fail me lol!
Old 04-05-2022, 04:17 PM

I have never used a lightbox for paper piecing. Not sure why you would need them
Old 04-06-2022, 03:05 AM

Never been into paper piecing, but to be honest, I've never tried either. I do have a light box that is used for applique once in a while. For me, that's good enough if I wanted to paper piece something small.