Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Class 20 Adjuster's Manual WANTED >

Singer Class 20 Adjuster's Manual WANTED

Singer Class 20 Adjuster's Manual WANTED

Old 03-29-2022, 11:33 PM

Default Singer Class 20 Adjuster's Manual WANTED

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have an original printed "Form 20533 Adjusters Manual for Singer sewing machines of Class 20 Single Thread Chain Stitch"?

I have purchased 2 copies - one as a download and another as a hard copy from someone else (ordered online and then posted - at some expense as they're in the US and I'm in New Zealand). The downloaded one is fuzzy (it looks like they just scanned an original and didn't even bother to tidy it up) and the other is better but still sub-par.

I'd like an original so that I can scan it and put the work into it myself to tidy up, or a halfway decent scan that I can then work on and tidy up myself. If someone sent me a scan then I would, of course, make sure they get a copy of the tidied up one.

Or if you know where I can get a decent scan of one already done that would be great too - I just haven't been able to find it - and I've looked... and looked. :-) If I can't get that then I may write up one myself and use photos of my own machines (once I've finished cleaning them!!) for the illustrations. And I'd make it available as a free PDF too.

I have a lovely original printed "Form 7933 Revised June 1926 Users Manual Instructions for Using Singer Sewing Machine No. 20" that I've scanned too and tidied up a bit (it didn't need much because it came with a virtually "unused" machine and the manual hardly had a crease in it even, no clamp or cloth guide though, and the box was pretty knocked about!). When I do a little page on my site about my Model 20 machines ( I have 3 versions of it) and I'll have it available as a free PDF download - with no annoying watermarks over the illustrations. :-)

Ta heaps... Megan
Old 03-30-2022, 03:07 AM

Here is what I've found. You may already have some of these but maybe not.

https://manualsoncd.com/product/sing...usters-manual/
https://www.ecrater.com/p/19021924/s...hine-adjusters
https://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mac...el_20_toy.html

Here's how to thread the machine that might help you:
https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/t...ger20threading
Old 03-30-2022, 09:30 AM

Hi Osewme,

Thank you for those - you're right, I was aware of those already and have already purchased one of them that I'm not at all happy with so having purchased a couple now (a hard copy and an electronic copy) I don't want to purchase more. I'd like a decent original scan (or original manual that I can scan myself) that it's okay for me to work on and tidy up myself so I can make something better available to people at a better price (that is free) - without having to sign up to anything or give your email address to anyone, etc etc. (I don't have a page on my Model 20s on my web site - megan.cc - yet, I've got nothing about sewing machines, but if you take a peek you'll see what I mean about it all being free).

When I've worked on my Model 20s I want to make a much better resource available that anyone can help themselves to any time they like. I was so pleased when one of machines came with a highly scannable original 1926 User Manual that I scanned it and thought "I'm going to put this on my web site - for free - and wouldn't it be great if I can get my hands on an original Adjusters Manual - or a really good scan of one - and have them both available for people?" If I can't get that I'm to "type-set" my own for the words and use photographs of my own machines for the pictures and make that available for free. So I'm on a mission. :-)

I know sellers won't like it but I think to myself "Well, I purchased what's on offer and I don't like it, and one of them is so bad it's a rip-off - so the Little Red Hen will just have to do it herself".
Old 03-31-2022, 08:27 AM

Is your Model 20 the children's version? I found a lot of videos on the Model 20 that you might could use or learn from. I hope some of these help. You might also try a library for a source of information.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...r=yhs-mnet-001

I found this today that may help you. It's not the original Adjusters Manual but looks like it would help you. Maybe you could contact Suncatcher in League City, Texas & ask about the manual before purchasing it. Just to make sure it's a good, readable copy. It says in the description..."In depth manual for the Toy Singer - Model 20-1 with an Oval Base or the 20-10 Model with a Rectangular Base. Contains same information as original instructions plus lots more. How to time your toy is explained and more in the 16 pages."

https://www.suncatcher-tx.com/shop/c...-x32214643.htm

Last edited by osewme; 03-31-2022 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:52 AM

Hi again Osewme,

I've purchased from Suncatcher and even got some spare parts for my machines from them.

Yes it it the one "for the girls" and "light sewing", later called the Sewhandy and given an electric motor. I've got 9 of these things in 3 different models - starting from the ones that had no numbers on them up the ones made in the 1950s. But I've got none that have the electric motor attached (they couldn't possibly fit it inside!) and I don't have the one made in Turkey in the 1970s.

I've already completely taken apart, cleaned and polished and put back together one of my Model 20 machines and got the timing of the eccentric feed and looper and clearances just right and so on. So I know how to do it. And I've already got a couple of User manuals, a couple of Adjusters Manuals (and I purchased the publications by Jerry Fogltance else who does two of his own - one about the machines in general from a collector's perspective and one that talks about restoring them - I can recommend those - I got some spare parts from them too), and I've got the Parts List.

What I'm trying to get now (since I've got a very good scan of my own actual vintage original printed User Manual from 1926) is an Adjusters Manual that I can scan - or a good scan of somebody else's one that I can work on and tidy up so I can have the Adjusters Manual available for free to go with the User's manual at my web site. I can't just scan the "scanned copies" I've purchased because (a) that's a breach of copyright for the people who sold them to me and (b) I don't like the quality of the images - they're too "fuzzy" for what I know, from experience, people want to be able to see clearly if they're to work on their own machines.

Since I don't think what is available to purchase already is what I really was hoping to get when I purchased them I want to make something better available myself.

If anyone has an original Adjusters Manual in pretty good shape that they can take a high quality scan of that they're willing to send me so that I can tidy it up and make it available that would be great. I live in New Zealand so it's tricky for me to pay them for it but if they know a way I can and the price isn't outrageous I'm also happy to buy a vintage original printed-by-Singer (not reprinted by somebody else) copy of one so that I can scan it and work on it myself. (I'm even happy for someone to post me one to scan very carefully and I'll post it back afterwards well wrapped to protect it from damage. People who know me well would trust me to send it back - but I can't reasonably ask that of strangers in a forum like this.)

Thank you so much for digging up those references and sources. While they can't help me on this occasion I know that other people searching for exactly that will come across this thread and find the information very useful - as I would have myself if I hadn't already found it.

Kind regards,
Megan
Old 03-31-2022, 10:05 AM

Megan, I was surprised to fin that such a thing ever existed. I've tinkered with a couple and didn't think they were made to be used long term You are be better qualified than most to write your own.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:47 AM

Oh - thank you Leonf - that's a compliment indeed coming from you! <<blush>>

The Little Red Hen might just have to do exactly that because I really want there to be a free, high-quality resource available for people so they can keep their little machines going. They are little charmers and they do sew a very good little seam. Considering how small they are they were very well made. The box says right on it that it's not a toy and is a real sewing machine. And Singer were right, it's different to a lockstitch but still does real stitching.

They're lovely for piecing (they came with a cloth guide you can screw to the bed!) and fantastic for basting/tacking because you can "unlock" the chain and it just pulls right out. I took mine to show people at Alberton (a historic home where I volunteer, dressed in my Victorian garb) a couple of weeks ago and people just loved it. Young and old alike.

My hubby says I should do a video but there are other people who already have a great set-up for lighting and sound etc, etc - all they need is the information and a machine to work on. If I can't get a good original Adjusters Manual I can scan myself, or a high-quality scan I can work on myself, that I can make available for people then I think I'll have to write one of my own. It would have photos rather than the pictures in the manuals and while they're good in some ways often pictures and diagrams are better than photos - if you can get them.

Kind regards,
Megan
Old 03-31-2022, 07:10 PM

Best of luck to you in trying to find what you need. You have peaked my interest in these little machines & I've done a lot of "looking" at them on the internet since I started looking for that manual for you. I think many people could benefit from your manual & I know they would appreciate the fact that they are "free". Thank you for promoting this sweet, small sewing machine to the public.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:33 PM

Thank you so much Osewme - you really are a star and the research you've done is just amazing. If ever you get one and think I might be able to help please let me know as it really would be my pleasure to help somebody as incredibly helpful as you. :-)
Kind regards... Megan