Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Elastic Waist Pants Pattern >

Elastic Waist Pants Pattern

Elastic Waist Pants Pattern

Old 04-01-2022, 10:12 AM

Default Elastic Waist Pants Pattern

Hey Y'all,
I've been asked by a friend to make some elastic waist pants for her adult special needs sister who lives in assisted living. The sister is very picky about her clothing - so this will almost be a 'practice' pair to see if she likes/will tolerate them. If its 'go' I'll likely be commissioned to make more. Anyway - I'm seeking a simple pattern - no pockets needed at this time, elastic waist, size 14, with a 24" inseam, to be sewn in a cotton/twill/medium weight fabric. Before I invest in a pattern - does anyone have any recommendations? Would a scrubs pattern work? Other thoughts/ideas?
Thank you
Donna
Old 04-01-2022, 11:53 AM

Sure a scrubs pattern would work but if the pants are made for a drawstring you might have to make the casing a little wider for the elastic. Pajama pants pattern would work too. I found one for free with a google search. I would measure her pants that she likes for size and see which width of elastic she likes. Pattern sizes and off the rack sizes are very different. Also width of elastic does make a difference in how they feel.
Old 04-01-2022, 12:36 PM

I agree with pajama patterns. There are also nice patterns in the sportswear section. Patterns can get quite pricey so watch for sales at Joann’s. They will go on sale for just a couple $$. Where you could pay as much as $20 or more at regular price.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

I would look for jog pants. They are elastic waist and comfortable. By the time you buy fabric, buying jog pants from Walmart will be less expensive.
Old 04-02-2022, 03:32 AM

Another alternative is to buy scrubs, buy them a few sizes too big so they will be roomy and comfortable. Many have elastic in the waist. Walmart sells them, very inexpensive, my cleaning lady wears them all the time.
Old 04-02-2022, 04:36 AM

I, too, was going to suggest pj bottoms. Easiest thing in the world to do and modify as needed.
Old 04-02-2022, 06:28 AM

I would use High quality knit. Knit is soft, stretches for comfort and doesn't bind at the waist like wovens can do.
Old 04-02-2022, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

I made myself a couple pairs of bottoms and I traced around one of my favorite pairs. So it was easy and they all fit like I liked. I have made various pj bottoms with elastic waists for the grands over the years. Seems like no one pattern was "better". Some of the "bought" ones might be cheaper to hem than starting from scratch.
Old 04-02-2022, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

I made all my kids pj bottoms and play pants, and over pants for cold weather. I traced around leg sides of an old pair. Sewed the side seams. Put on leg inside the other and sewed the two together. I sewed elastic in the waistband, hemmed, and done. I could make a pair in a flash. I have the written instructions somewhere. I'll look for them.
Old 04-02-2022, 11:52 AM

If you're interested in doing PJ bottoms. I have a pj bottom pattern that is super easy. one piece for each side. Let me know and I'll dig it out and give you the number. I've made it many times.