Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Realistic walking foot or FMQ video? >

Realistic walking foot or FMQ video?

Realistic walking foot or FMQ video?

Old 03-29-2022, 05:56 PM

Question Realistic walking foot or FMQ video?

Does anyone know of a video for FMQ or walking foot quilting where the technique is actually demonstrated on a large quilt? It seems every video I see is done on a 20" X 20" sandwich which, of course, is quite easy to maneuver. Many of those designs look very do-able, but try them on a full size quilt and it's an entirely different story! I would like to see how someone does a beautiful FMQ or complex walking foot design while managing the bulk of a large quilt. Ideas?
Old 03-29-2022, 06:46 PM

HollyAnne Knight of String and Story has a video on her blog about quilting on a standard DSM: https://www.stringandstory.com/blog/...uiltondomestic

Students graduating from herbFMQ Academy all complete a sampler quilt, which is about 50 x 60.
Old 03-30-2022, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
HollyAnne Knight of String and Story has a video on her blog about quilting on a standard DSM: https://www.stringandstory.com/blog/...uiltondomestic

Students graduating from herbFMQ Academy all complete a sampler quilt, which is about 50 x 60.
Thank you! I watched this video and it was very helpful.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Synnove View Post
Thank you! I watched this video and it was very helpful.
if you take the FMQA classes, all of the videos are of HollyAnne FMQing on a domestic machine (although it is one with a large throat). Here is the sampler I did in the class. It is about 50 x 60 and I did it on my Bernina with a 5.5” throat.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0186-2.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	638840  
Old 03-31-2022, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

That's really impressive! Beautiful work.
I always disliked the videos that show a small piece of fabric too. You can do anything on something like that. I'm going to watch the video, thanks!
Old 03-31-2022, 06:23 PM

if you take the FMQA classes, all of the videos are of HollyAnne FMQing on a domestic machine (although it is one with a large throat). Here is the sampler I did in the class. It is about 50 x 60 and I did it on my Bernina with a 5.5” throat.
Wow! That's absolutely gorgeous! Good work!
Old 04-02-2022, 09:50 PM

The Midnight Quilter on You Tube, Angela shows FMQ on regular size quilt.
Old 04-03-2022, 05:19 AM

Default Quilting large quilt

SuzSLO that is way cool! It looks like you quilted one block at at a time. And it was done once all the blocks were pieced, right?
I tried a rag quilt project where I used rulers to create designs on each block. I tried to "quilt as you go" using instructions from several sites. These flannel quilts did work out, but I have to admit the joining of the blocks and rows is a bit messy and sometimes requires a bit of sewing first aid. rag-quilt-section.png
Old 04-03-2022, 10:58 AM

Totally agree with SuzSLO taking HollyAnne Knight's FMQA and learning to quilt large quilts on my domestic machine was best course I have ever completed. My sampler was wholecloth and I marked out 12" squares for my motifs. I have since completed 10-12 quilts that were throw sized. I also completed Angela Walter's quilt along last year and her videos are also really good to watch as are those from Leah Day.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sampler 24 B.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	727.3 KB
ID:	638871   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02102 A.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	859.3 KB
ID:	638872