Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beach blanket quilt quest >

Beach blanket quilt quest

Beach blanket quilt quest

Old 04-02-2022, 11:34 AM

Red face Beach blanket quilt quest

I am trying to figure out how to complete my simple beach quiltop. Any ideas? What works and doesn't, for...the sand! I dread the sand getting under the quiltop and not coming out. Ugg. That'd be an awfully gift! So, What Backing? Batting if any? Any ideas?
Old 04-02-2022, 03:36 PM

I made a picnic blanket once and used a plastic-y/vinyl-y/tablecloth-y type of material for the back (I don't know what exactly kind of material it was, but hopefully my non-specific description makes sense!). That worked pretty well to easily wipe off any dirt and was good for managing any moisture on the ground as well.
Old 04-02-2022, 03:58 PM

https://www.maidenjane.com/big-beach-blanket-tutorial/ This gal seems to have done a lot of research and it makes sense.
Old 04-03-2022, 12:39 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
https://www.maidenjane.com/big-beach-blanket-tutorial/ This gal seems to have done a lot of research and it makes sense.
Wow! I don't even need a beach blanket but after reading this, I WANT one! LOL Never thought of painters drop cloth as a backing but seems like a genius idea. Would definitely work as a picnic blanket too.
Harbor Freight has painter drop cloths that are really inexpensive. A 9 x15 for $14!
Old 04-03-2022, 07:18 AM

Here's one I made. I used a sheet on the back, but I like the idea of painter's drop cloth. It's made with raw-edge applique denim and hand-dyed fabric. I thought the denim would make it heavy so it wouldn't blow too much in the wind.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Denim Waves Fence.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	638869  
Old 04-03-2022, 07:44 AM

I use PUL for some beach quilts and other times I use an older quilt that is still in good shape but also works for the beach. I have not had any problems with sand getting inside the quilt. I used a lighter weight poly bat on the ones I am talking about. PUL is easy to work with and is water resistant. I use it for bibs and burp cloths too. (Polyurethane Laminate Fabric). I also have the PUL over a cloth backing.
Old 04-04-2022, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Here's one I made. I used a sheet on the back, but I like the idea of painter's drop cloth. It's made with raw-edge applique denim and hand-dyed fabric. I thought the denim would make it heavy so it wouldn't blow too much in the wind.
I just wanted to comment on your awesome beach blanket. Your dyed fabric and use of denim for the waves turned out great!
Old 04-04-2022, 08:12 AM

Great tutorial! I think I would add grommets to the corners to allow for staking if needed. I used to use a dollar store vinyl table cloth with a flocked backing.. We sat on the flocked backing side and it worked OK. Kept the moisture from seeping in from the bottom. I think the vinyl tablecloths were higher quality then.
Old 04-10-2022, 08:00 PM

Thank you for all of your feedback! I found some nice canvas tablecloths at a thrift shop! Gonna use one of those but plan to wash it first, just in case. Fingers crossed!
Old 04-11-2022, 05:13 AM

Thank you for all of your feedback! I found some nice canvas tablecloths at a thrift shop! Gonna use one of those but plan to wash it first, just in case. Fingers crossed!