Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Sewing machine lemon >

Sewing machine lemon

Sewing machine lemon

Old 04-03-2022, 04:47 PM

Angry Sewing machine lemon

Hi, I recently bought an industrial sewing machine, Kwonglam, from Global Sewing Machine Company in Cleveland, Ohio. The thing weighs a ton. I had to return it twice to Global for repairs, and it now needs to go the third time. I have only had this machine for about 9 months, and I have not used it very much, due to it not working. Pete said he would trade it in on a Juki, for an additional $300-$400. I paid $1,395 for the Kwonglam. I want to know if the lemon law would be applicable but I don't want to pay a lawyer another $1,000 to file. I upholster chairs, that is why I need it. Every time I have to take it to Global, my grandson has to come to my house and load it into my car, and then put it back when I return. Has anyone had an experience with this machine, or this company? Thank you for your reply.
Old 04-03-2022, 08:35 PM

Sorry, I've never heard of that machine or that company, and since I'm not an attorney, I can't advise you about lemon laws. You could take them to small claims court, I suppose.
I'm curious. You're asking if anyone has had experience with this machine and this company ... What did people say about it *before* you purchased the machine?
Old 04-03-2022, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Sorry, I've never heard of that machine or that company, and since I'm not an attorney, I can't advise you about lemon laws. You could take them to small claims court, I suppose.
I'm curious. You're asking if anyone has had experience with this machine and this company ... What did people say about it *before* you purchased the machine?
Foolishly, I didn't do enough research. I wanted a Juki, which I had read about, but the dealer didn't have one. He gave me a great sales talk on the Kwonglam. Globe was the only place in my vicinity that sold industrial machines, and I needed one, as I was in the middle of a project. I think the machine probably is a good one, I just have one that has problems - a lemon. There isn't too much info on the web, and I have written to the manufacturer. I have not been satisfied with their response. I think a lot gets lost in translation. Thanks for answering.
Old 04-04-2022, 03:13 AM

What juki were you looking at? I have a janome HD9 that is a great machine for working on leather denim and other materials.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:07 AM

I’m so sorry to hear you are having issues with your new machine. I bought a Kwonglam from Peter last year and have been very happy with my machine. He’s known to be a standup guy and has been very helpful. He offered to set up some days so I could come up and make bags on the different machines before I purchased one. He had the Juki in stock when I was there and honestly after I played with it I didn’t like it. It has a tiny throat space and didn’t seem to have the power that I thought it would. I completely understand the issues of running it back and forth. Commercial grade machines are not designed to move. The head on mine weighs around 90 pounds and was a bear for my husband (who is 70) to get in my basement sewing room. I hope you can get the issue solved to your satisfaction.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Mouse View Post
I’m so sorry to hear you are having issues with your new machine. I bought a Kwonglam from Peter last year and have been very happy with my machine. He’s known to be a standup guy and has been very helpful. He offered to set up some days so I could come up and make bags on the different machines before I purchased one. He had the Juki in stock when I was there and honestly after I played with it I didn’t like it. It has a tiny throat space and didn’t seem to have the power that I thought it would. I completely understand the issues of running it back and forth. Commercial grade machines are not designed to move. The head on mine weighs around 90 pounds and was a bear for my husband (who is 70) to get in my basement sewing room. I hope you can get the issue solved to your satisfaction.
Thanks for your reply. My Kwonglam is in my basement also. I am 85 years old, and cannot lift it and it is such a bother to get someone to put it in my car. I think my individual machine, not the whole brand, is bad. I guess I will make another trip to Cleveland, because if I don't, I own a very expensive paperweight. The last time it broke, I had just brought it home from Globe's repair that day, sewed about 100" of piping, the needle broke, and the machine jammed. I found the pieces of the needle, replaced, rethreaded, etc. but the wheel will not turn. This was the 3rd time it jammed. Something is off with the alignment. I am glad to hear your endorsement of the machine and Pete. It is certainly a funny place, and Pete does seem to know what he is doing.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:31 AM

I hopefully do not have to buy another machine, but will get this one fixed to my satisfaction. Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:05 AM

Sounds like a shaft may have bent or tweaked out of alignment. I owned my own Upholstery business for over 20 something years before I retired from it. The most reliable industrial machine I ever owned was a Phaff 545, I had i converted to use Singer feet because of the price of the Phaff feet. It had a walking foot and reverse. My oldest daughter now uses it in her business.

I hope this Peter guy works with you and solves the issue. One would think after 3 times he would offer you a replacement. Not just a "deal" on another machine. BTW a Juki with a walking foot is a good machine.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:21 AM

Like others I am unfamiliar with this machine. I am sorry that you are having these problems with the machine. It is unlikely the company would take it back after 9 mos. Your husband had the right idea about trading it in and getting the other machine. It is hard to cut your losses and run.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
Sounds like a shaft may have bent or tweaked out of alignment. I owned my own Upholstery business for over 20 something years before I retired from it. The most reliable industrial machine I ever owned was a Phaff 545, I had i converted to use Singer feet because of the price of the Phaff feet. It had a walking foot and reverse. My oldest daughter now uses it in her business.

I hope this Peter guy works with you and solves the issue. One would think after 3 times he would offer you a replacement. Not just a "deal" on another machine. BTW a Juki with a walking foot is a good machine.
Good to hear from you. I own a Pfaff 7510 with a walking foot and piping attachment. I love it, but it is not good for heavy double piping. I would have purchased that brand if it had been available and still made by the German company that originally made them. I am going to try to see if Pete will do something about my machine - replace it or fix it for good. Thank you.