Fabric Moratorium 2022

Old 03-11-2022, 08:05 AM

Welcome Scuba and Dunster. Always nice to have more people to travel this journey with.

I've not been doing much in the sewing room during the last couple of weeks, but when I do, I'm making tiny houses. This is fun because I'm playing with so much of my stash to get lots of variety in what will be a village of houses soon, but I'm realizing it's not exactly an efficient use of stash. Big eyeroll there! Each house is about 4.5"x7" so...

I am sure one day I will find one of those mythical stashbusters where you sew for a while and when you turn around, the huge stack of fabric has been turned into something beautiful and easier to deal with, a la Rumplestiltskin... but I've not found it yet. :-)

In the meantime, all of this exploring of fabric has helped me identify a couple of fabrics that I can't really see ever using in a quilt top - however, they are bright and pretty and so I'm thinking of creating a specific space for these fabrics that could be used as baby/toddler quilt backings since there's just about enough of them for that. A new "section" in my stash store!

Old 03-11-2022, 09:20 AM

Juliasb- sounds like you were buying for a specific quilt, so not a complete fall off the wagon. Good for you for identifying the difficulty with shop hops and deciding to be proactive on avoiding them.

Gem- great idea to set up a special section for baby quilt backings.

Still have not purchased any fabric this year. Unfortunately I've slowed down this year on quilting and making in general, so my stash isn't looking much different than it was at the beginning of the year. I want to try and remedy that, but also am enjoying the slower pace and taking my time with the quilting part of things.

Rob

Rob
Old 03-11-2022, 07:16 PM

I walked out of JAF without buying anything!
(Pause for applause)
They were having a sale on FQ and I picked out and was waiting in line and the person in front started fussing and I realized that I DIDN'T NEED THIS.
​So I shoved them back into the FQ tray and walked out quickly before I changed my mind. Sorry, it was a dump and run if you were wondering why there was brown in the pinks - but there's only so much willpower in the universe. Another turn round the store and who knows what would have come home with me!
Old 03-11-2022, 08:05 PM

Hey all! I've been on a fabric moratorium for a couple years now, I guess it's about time I join this thread. I used up a lot of larger scraps this last month. I purchased an online FMQ course. I needed 12 12" sandwiches so I used up some print and plain fabrics doing that and also some of my batting scraps. The course was really good and my FMQ has improved.

I also used up most of a piece of upholstery fabric that I had. I made 2 bags for my FWs to make it easy to get them in and out of the cases and also give them some padding in the cases. I did have to buy some fusible fleece to finish the second one, but everything else was fabric that I already had.

Other than that, I haven't bought any fabrics at all since about Oct of last year. I bought a couple pieces at Quilt Festival and some to finish a Christmas quilt, but that's all. Sadly, there are no empty spaces showing in my stash. But I'm getting ready to start an EPP project which I'm hoping to mostly do out of my stash so I'm hoping that some of this will start to show soon. I'm not betting on it though. lol
Old 03-11-2022, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Hey all! I've been on a fabric moratorium for a couple years now, I guess it's about time I join this thread. I used up a lot of larger scraps this last month. I purchased an online FMQ course. I needed 12 12" sandwiches so I used up some print and plain fabrics doing that and also some of my batting scraps. The course was really good and my FMQ has improved
Where was the course? Who was instructor? I'm thinking about and would appreciate input
Old 03-12-2022, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
Where was the course? Who was instructor? I'm thinking about and would appreciate input
It was Free Motion Quilting Mastery with RaNae Merrill. I bought the course from her at Quilt Festival in Houston and it's been really good. She also has some Zoom get togethers to sew and get help. I haven't tried any of those yet. I've been very happy with the results I've gotten from her methods.
Old 04-03-2022, 05:35 AM

Made a decision to use the pattern grey instead of the solid grey as final border on this pink stars. If I had a darker solid charcoal it would have been awesome, but when stash shopping - you take what you have. I have a short yard on the pattern grey (29.5") so a 3" border should finish it off.

This is a quilt that happened when I decided to practice my flying geese. And then I decided to practice my pieced borders (aagh! I accidentally made it difficult for myself and the math nearly killed me.) I'm at the "sick of it, just get it done" stage and then after this final border it might go hang in the closet for a while.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pink stars Border choices.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	572.3 KB
ID:	638867  
Old 04-03-2022, 07:36 AM

Great use of stash, RF1010!

I went to my favorite LQS yesterday and bought the pattern for a class I'm taking on April 20. I was soooooo good, even though I fingered lots of lovely fabrics and looked through the remnants bins, I didn't buy any. The pattern is for a sunflower quilt by Judy Niemeyer and I'm planning on using as much stash as possible, though I may have to buy some fabrics to fill in here and there.

I am also planning on making another Snail Trail Al Fresco quilt since my scrap drawer for 2" squares is filled to capacity.

Rob
Old 04-04-2022, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

Enjoying the thread...been sewing tiny pieces. Just finished making 2" crumb squares for a large quilt and setting them on point with scrap triangles before I put them in a 9P setting using stash fabric. Hope to get a flimsy done by next Monday. Meanwhile have all pieces cut for my OMG quilt. Calculated I saved 9+ yards from yardage in the blocks. Sewing HST's for this as leaders and enders with the crumb square quilt.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:14 AM

This year after 2 years of not buying any fabrics I have learned that I needed to buy more than a little fabric. The plan is to get back on the wagon before it gets any worse. I am being very selective though and going to my stash first. Get me back on track fast!