Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ordering fabric online >

Ordering fabric online

Ordering fabric online

Old 04-08-2022, 06:53 AM

I know ordering on line is fast becoming the norm, but as a 77 year old who has been quilting for many years, I still like going to a store and looking and touching fabric before I buy it. I think I will have enough fabric to last me but still love going to quilt stores (and still usually find something to buy) to look what is new. I know it is hard for quilt shops to hang in there but that is how life goes, always changing. I did order once on line and was certainly satisfied with my purchase but wouldn't have wanted to deal with anyone if I had not been satisfied.
Old 04-08-2022, 07:06 AM

OnebyOne-Really any place can have a problem at any given time and I understand that but I won't deal with bad customer service at any time.

Onebyone I can't blame you there. I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I just ordered a layer cake and some 2 1/2 inch squares just in case I wouldn't have enough for a king quilt. So no yardage for me. I too would be 'chomping at the bit' if I had been shorten.

Easypeasy, you should have dealt with them so it want happen again. If that is all they had on the bolt, they should have contacted you to see if you still wanted it. I know I ordered from quiltednursery.com one time. I placed an order for 6 yards. The lady contacted me by telephone and asked if I still wanted it because she didn't have but so much over 5 yards. I said yes. In my case it didn't matter. I still feel they should have contacted you before fullfilling your order. Since they didn't you should have raised cane. I would have-lol
Old 04-08-2022, 12:59 PM

Despite all their advance apologies and disclaimers, an order I placed with FQS arrived a week later, hundreds of miles from TX. I was figuring I'd get it in May, but they shipped in a few days. And it involved a lot of yardage cutting.

So, I'm pleasantly surprised.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 04-08-2022, 07:25 PM

I have to admit that I have developed a liking for precuts which makes ordering online much more appealing. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 04-09-2022, 03:44 AM
Power Poster

toogie, Thank You for posting the new to me site. I just spent a nice time shopping there. Love their fabrics.
Old 04-10-2022, 08:30 PM

The company I will probably never again order from is Green Fairy, I don’t know how they stay in business their filling orders is horrendously slow. I placed an order with them and two other companies and it took almost two weeks more for theirs to arrive. The thing I didn’t understand is that the one company was in California, two in Utah.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
The company I will probably never again order from is Green Fairy, I don’t know how they stay in business their filling orders is horrendously slow.
I'm just the opposite; I love ordering from Green Fairy because I love the idea of supporting small, family-owned, family-run businesses. Judi (the owner) also teaches longarming and does a lot of shows, so I would expect some delays there.
Old 04-11-2022, 05:51 PM

Hawthorne used to be one of my go-to shops, but then they changed their truly splendid website, and I can't browse the way I used to, so I rarely look to them anymore unless I'm looking for something very specific. I think they used to be smaller and friendlier, but now that they are a larger business, the service isn't quite as easy going. For example, you used to be able to email and add to an order, but they don't do that anymore. Now that you mention it, I don't think I've received their newsletter in a while, which used to come a couple of times per week.

As I understand it, there are some postal routes that are quicker and more direct than others. In my experience, Hawthorne ships after a day or two, but it takes several more days to reach me in the middle of the country.
Old 04-12-2022, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I'm just the opposite; I love ordering from Green Fairy because I love the idea of supporting small, family-owned, family-run businesses. Judi (the owner) also teaches longarming and does a lot of shows, so I would expect some delays there.
I know Judi does the things that you have referred to however I had been purchasing from them for many years and never had those issues before.