Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hand quilting >

Hand quilting

Hand quilting

Old 04-09-2022, 05:18 PM

Default Hand quilting

Hi. There is so much of good sharing here hence am asking for guidance . I had planned to get my first -and only so far- quilt top LA quilted but found the cost took me beyond my budget. So on to Plan B, which is to quilt by hand.
Have watched a few tutorials online... haven't been very successful in getting even stitches but will get there hopefully. Though I haven't begun to enjoy it !!
I have no idea about the following.
What thread to use. What brand and thread weight are commonly used ?
Also is there any specific needle for hand quilting ?
I don't have any frame. The quilt top is 84 x 101 inches. What should I buy?
There is only one Fabric store within driving distance and they do not have any templates for patterns.
I look fwd to all advice and suggestions. and Thank you in advance.
Old 04-09-2022, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

Hand quilting takes a long time. Traditionally you use between needles and hand quilting thread. There are different frames to hold your quilt sandwich taut for stitching. You might look into YouTube for a tutorial on a newer method which is called “ big stitch” quilting.
Old 04-10-2022, 02:27 AM

When I hand quilted, I used a large oval hoop rather than a frame. This made the quilt more portable. I basted either with thread and big stitches or with safety pins. Make sure your layers are totally flat and taut when you baste. Use between needles - they have big eyes just right for the quilting thread, which is a bit stiffer than regular sewing thread. It is coated so that it doesn't tangle as much. I used to use Coats & Clarks but now I use Guterman's, available at Joann's and maybe other chain stores. Why not try hand quilting a small piece before starting on your big quilt? You'll get a feel for the "rhythm" of quilting that way.
Old 04-10-2022, 03:27 AM

I also use a large oval frame, so I can sit back in a comfy chair while quilting. A smaller frame for smaller projects, too. It does take a while to get used to it. Try it with a thimble and without, see which you like better. I use a thimble.

Hand quilting was the one and only thing I needed a lesson on - I couldn't get the hang of it otherwise. (this was before the internet). And your stitches will get smaller and more regular as you go along.

It doesn't have to take a long time, when I was in my prime, I quilted 5-6 hours a day and figured on 2-3 weeks to get a bed sized quilt done. Don't forget you could also do "big stitch" quilting.
Old 04-10-2022, 03:59 AM

Your stitch size will come with time and a lot of practice. I have a 14" round hoop and prefer it to the oval as I can turn it to best advantage for the direction I'm going. I got it many years ago at JoAnn's but i don't think they carry this one any more. Mine is a plastic/PVC sort of thing but wider than an embroidery hoop so that it really grips onto the multiple layers. Perhaps Dritz makes it now but i'm not certain of that. I like the leather thimble with the "coin" in the tip. While I usually use quilting thread, if I can't find the color i want, usual sewing thread works for me. You can make your own templates or simply do straight line stitching or quilt in the ditch.
Congratulations on aspiring to hand quilting. It keeps the art alive!
Old 04-10-2022, 05:03 AM

Congrats on attempting hand quilting! As others have said, your stitches will become more uniform and smaller over time. Some people find that having a small sandwich to 'warm up' with before working on your actual quilt helps get them more consistency on their actual quilt.

I use whatever 'hand quilting' thread is the color I want. I don't care about specific brands. JoAnn's sells a brand 'Americana' which tends to be a bit heavier/thicker than other brands but it works just fine. I use quilting 'between' needles. I use a metal 'Thimblelady' thimble that is open at the end, thus you push with the pad of your finger vs the tip. I find this far more comfortable. I also use a round hoop vs the oval. I've bought them at JoAnn's for very reasonable prices. I was gifted a couple of other, much 'nicer', hoops by a quilting friend and find I like my cheapy JoAnn's round one the best.

I've purchased quilting templates from both JoAnn's and my LQS. I've done in-the-ditch hand quilting but find it far more difficult. Besides, if you're putting all that effort into your quilt, your work should be seen!

Good luck with your endeavor. I'm sure you'll do a great job!
Old 04-10-2022, 05:19 AM

I still have the first quilt that I hand quilted. I love it because I can see my journey that began in the middle of the quilt with imperfect stitches and ended at the top and bottom with pretty even, small stitches. I have only hand quilted and I have made a lot of quilts over the last 30 years. It really doesn't take that long if you work on it a little bit each day. To me it's relaxing to sit in a comfortable chair at the end of the day and do a bit of quilting. Good luck, I hope your enjoy your quilts. In my opinion you just can't beat a hand quilted quilt.
Old 04-10-2022, 07:39 AM

Thank you for the detailed and very helpful responses .
Now I have something to begin with.
What also came across was the fact that you all enjoy the process of hand quilting. WOW!
Right now I feel overwhelmed with my "Plan B" but the encouragement received is appreciated and will see me through it.
Yes, I will also chk out tutorials on 'big stitch' quilting.
Old 04-10-2022, 09:17 AM

Honey58, I see you’re from India . My daughter has visited there. Anyway, this is my set up. If you have access to lumber and a handy husband he can cut you some strips of wood for your frame. I use clamps on the corner of the wooden frame. You can prop the frame on dining chairs like my grandmother did or hang from hooks in the ceiling like my mother-in law. That way you can roll the frame up, with the hanging strings, during the times you’re not quilting.
I agree with the others about needles and threads, and starting in the center after all your quilt is spray or pinned taut. However, if you use a set up like mine you quilt from the outer edges in toward the center. Here are the only two pictures I have and may not show the frame very well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CADA1695-716A-4F0B-8558-7336B4B165D5.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	429.8 KB
ID:	638964   Click image for larger version

Name:	4D0C4B39-7413-42C3-BE46-628BC02A182B.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	638965  

Last edited by toogie; 04-10-2022 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:28 AM

Default Hand Quilting

I use Gutterman quilting thread---It seems to twist much less than other threads.