Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hand quilting >

Hand quilting

Hand quilting

Old 04-10-2022, 10:30 AM

A lot depends on what you did to hold the quilt together so that it can be quilted and the kind of batting. I used blue painter tape to keep the lines straight. You really do need a frame. I just used a large 18" circular lap frame that I've had for over 30 years. I have a hoop on a stand that I like, but I like to do quilting on my lap while watching tv. Don't worry about your stitches being too large. You can put more than one stitch at a time on your needle. This is your quilt and you can make your stitches as large/short as you are comforable doing. I don't fret over the fact tha some of my stitches are longer than others either. With time, I've develped a sttich length and a rhythm that fits me.Your ability to quilt will grow and when you do your next quilt and you'll fee.l more confident. On some quilts, I've used both hand and machine quilting.

As I've gotten older, I'm not as fussy as I used to be about the details. If I'm satisfied, then it's done perfectly! I'm the only person who has to like my quilts.
Old 04-10-2022, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
Honey58, I see you’re from India . My daughter has visited there. Anyway, this is my set up. If you have access to lumber and a handy husband he can cut you some strips of wood for your frame. I use clamps on the corner of the wooden frame. You can prop the frame on dining chairs like my grandmother did or hang from hooks in the ceiling like my mother-in law. That way you can roll the frame up, with the hanging strings, during the times you’re not quilting.
I agree with the others about needles and threads, and starting in the center after all your quilt is spray or pinned taut. However, if you use a set up like mine you quilt from the outer edges in toward the center. Here are the only two pictures I have and may not show the frame very well.
Thank you for the pictures.
Yes I am from India. However currently in Canada.
My children have made their life here and as their children are growing, they now travel less frequently to India. It's easier for them that I travel here than for all of them to travel to visit me.
And No- I do not have access to a "handy ' husband !! How I wish !
Old 04-10-2022, 07:15 PM

Have made notes of all the helpful suggestions and hope to get the right tools soon. In the meantime, I am practising on the matching pieced cushion.
Old 04-11-2022, 04:56 AM

I also hand quilt. I use a Q-Snap floor frame to hold my quilts. First I put them on the long arm and baste them together using odds and ends of thread. Then I transfer it to the Q-Snap and hand quilt. I only work on it a couple hours a day watching TV at night but eventually, it gets done. I always have one on the frame. Sometimes, hand quilting is what is required to get the look you want.