Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question about the cost of mailing packages >

Question about the cost of mailing packages

Question about the cost of mailing packages

Old 04-15-2022, 05:40 PM

Default Question about the cost of mailing packages

Hi, the last few years I was making items for cat / dog shelters (mats, simple dog coats and toys) and mailing them out because they were several states away from me. I am so disappointed now because sending packages is so expensive. I don't mind spending a lot (as I did the past few years) but it has gone up so much. Just wondering if anyone had an idea if there was a cheaper way....I don't mean real cheap as I am happy to pay a good amount. It would be great to be able to set up an account and maybe get a cheaper rate but I could be dreaming. Thank you very much.
Old 04-15-2022, 08:14 PM

You might look into this organization called "Give Back Box"

https://givebackbox.shop/
Old 04-17-2022, 09:41 AM

When I ship my ebay sales via the Ebay module I get a discount on shipping and delivery confirmation is included, other than that I print my shipping labels via PayPal or the USPS website. Shipping is what it is, sadly. Doesn't seem so long ago we were trading holiday packages with friends in Australia and England, big ones! Now a post card to them is 2 dollars.

You'd be better served contacting all your local churches and charities and homeless shelters to find if you can directly gift in person. All that postage would ge a long way towards another charitable organization your admire.
Old 04-17-2022, 03:39 PM

Check out Pirate Ship or NetParcel.com.

Both are courier brokers and you can save 20-40% off the price of the big couriers by going through these companies to buy your label and then you just drop off the package to the courier of your choice.

Watson
Old 04-18-2022, 04:54 AM

takes forever though, I believe this is why Missouri Star packages take so long to arrive.
Old 04-18-2022, 06:26 AM

Whenever I mail packages (quilts) I go to a local shipping store that handles several different carriers. They have gotten really good at comparing rates for me. Sometimes it's where it's going, when it needs to get there, or the weight. It never seems to be the same twice. But at least I do know what each carrier costs. I'd recommend it over going to one carrier.
Old 08-30-2022, 08:29 AM

Default .UPS is often more expensive

USPS will always be the cheapest way to ship compared to FedEx or UPS hands down. However as the weight creeps closer to 2 pounds, USPS shipping costs achieve pricing parity with UPS and FedEx Ground.USPS packages cost about $2.74 if less than one pound; if one pound or more, most packages start at $7. USPS rates for packages heavier than one pound typically increase by 10 to 25 cents for each pound added.For First-Class Mail, shape and weight will determine the price. For Priority Mail, the price is a combination of weight, size, and how far the mailpiece is traveling. Priority Mail pieces that exceed one cubic foot, are subject to "dimensional weight pricing".Is it cheaper to ship in a box or a padded envelope? Shipping a padded envelope is almost always cheaper than shipping a box, but it may not be the best option for your package depending on what you're shipping. Fragile or valuable items or shipments of multiple items are always best packed in boxes.A medium or large flat rate box may end up costing you up to $9.53 more than your own custom-branded box. This article will help you figure out when you should avoid flat rate shipping, and how you can save big using your own boxes by accessing USPS Priority Mail Cubic via Easyship.UPS is often more expensive than USPS due to fees and surcharges, especially when it comes to shipping smaller packages. Generally, mercury courier tracking offers much better rates when shipping smaller packages of less than two pounds. One of the cheapest ways to send large packages is through freight shipping services. But it's also a good idea to check and compare prices with USPS, FedEx, and DHL. You may get a lower price depending on the weight and class of your products. Or take advantage of faster services.
Old 08-30-2022, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by colleencamacho5 View Post
USPS will always be the cheapest way to ship compared to FedEx or UPS hands down. However as the weight creeps closer to 2 pounds, USPS shipping costs achieve pricing parity with UPS and FedEx Ground.USPS packages cost about $2.74 if less than one pound; if one pound or more, most packages start at $7. USPS rates for packages heavier than one pound typically increase by 10 to 25 cents for each pound added.For First-Class Mail, shape and weight will determine the price. For Priority Mail, the price is a combination of weight, size, and how far the mailpiece is traveling. Priority Mail pieces that exceed one cubic foot, are subject to "dimensional weight pricing".Is it cheaper to ship in a box or a padded envelope? Shipping a padded envelope is almost always cheaper than shipping a box, but it may not be the best option for your package depending on what you're shipping. Fragile or valuable items or shipments of multiple items are always best packed in boxes.A medium or large flat rate box may end up costing you up to $9.53 more than your own custom-branded box. This article will help you figure out when you should avoid flat rate shipping, and how you can save big using your own boxes by accessing USPS Priority Mail Cubic via Easyship.UPS is often more expensive than USPS due to fees and surcharges, especially when it comes to shipping smaller packages. Generally, mercury courier tracking offers much better rates when shipping smaller packages of less than two pounds. One of the cheapest ways to send large packages is through freight shipping services. But it's also a good idea to check and compare prices with USPS, FedEx, and DHL. You may get a lower price depending on the weight and class of your products. Or take advantage of faster services.
Not necessarily. I've gotten a lot better rates for larger/heavier packages thru UPS.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:24 AM

I think USPS rates are closer to UPS's now, but their service for packages is TERRIBLE. Their tracking is an absolute joke. When I was sending a quilt via USPS, I talked with the clerk about tracking and was shocked by their inability to actually pinpoint where a package is, unless you pay to have it signed for at each exchange. I can't tell you how many times I've received orders that haven't had a shipping update in days, appearing to be stuck in a facility someplace (have also had that happen when they were short handed) only to have the box arrive on my doorstep.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
takes forever though, I believe this is why Missouri Star packages take so long to arrive.
Do they use one of the shipping services? I have noticed that their packages take forever, as do those coming from Primitive Gatherings - yet Fat Quarter Shop arrives in a couple of days. Interesting.