Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help to identify Industrial Singer Long Arm >

Help to identify Industrial Singer Long Arm

Help to identify Industrial Singer Long Arm

Old 04-19-2022, 01:26 PM

Exclamation Help to identify Industrial Singer Long Arm

Hi all!

I am hoping that there is someone here that may share some insights and information.

Im helping my mom to sell my late father’s sewing machine collection, in it is an Industrial long-arm Singer sewing machine.

There is a serial number that is W293718, as well as 2 tags that were added (113W11 0 and CB360UP). Google searches, ISMACS International, and serial number lookups have not yielded results. In addition, the wheel (sorry

I'm not sure what the technical name is) is centered and looks different from anything else I have found.

I've spent many hours online and even contacted Singer directly (no response), but cant seem to find the details of the following sewing machine.

Any help is appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220417_212800730.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	639065   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220417_212926935.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	639067   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220417_212741231 med.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	639068  
Old 04-19-2022, 06:49 PM

Welcome. Sorry for your loss. What a job that needs to be done with his collection.

I am not familiar with industrial machines, but I do like to research. I'm not sure how much it will help. I'm wondering if this was the same one mentioned in a thread by Archaic Arcane - Found some interesting things windows shopping today - Image heavy She is from Canada and has a website - https://archaicarcane.com/ - but deals mainly with domestic machine and has not been on Quilting Board for more than a few years.

The QB link above has a link for the manual, but is no longer available there, but is at https://web.archive.org/web/20190820...IPinstManuals/ The one that includes the 113W110 is "112W110_W113_W116_W120.pdf" Perhaps it is the same one that is available at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/36...roduct-113W110 Even thought it tells of the 113W, it does not show the machine or tell of the use for that wheel.

Being a "W" machine means that it was made at the Bridgeport factory after Singer bought out Wheeler & Wilson. There is a catalog for the Bridgeport factory dated 1908 on the Smithsonian site, but does not have either the 112W or the 113W. As you found out there are not serial numbered dates for the "W" machines. There are a couple of other pages regarding the 113W110 at https://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollec.../NMAHTEX/0149/ which is from 1919 and https://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollec...0196/index.htm which is from 1936

I also found an article in a Rubber trade journal dated 1918 regarding the 113W at https://books.google.com/books?id=Tq...achine&f=false

Nice cross-stitched featherweight behind the machine.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 04-19-2022, 06:50 PM

No info from me, but I just wanted to say, that it was a magnificent machine. Good luck on finding your information. I know your dad was proud of it.

Edited to add: Neat to find out that it is a machine that actually could be used to make boat or car custom covers. Or perhaps, those desert material patio covers. Years ago, a guy made us a complete set of folding tops (We had the rails) and side curtains complete with zippers to conver and protect the deck of a small vee hull off-shore boat. I bet he used a machine just like this one because he said his machine was very old. As far as I am concerned, it is a very neat find. It's probably a good thing I don't know where you live because I would be wanting to come see this machine.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 04-19-2022 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:50 PM

It looks very similar to some of the variations of the Singer 144W industrial long arm sewing machines but these are not double needle like the one you are showing. Lovely machine! I wonder if the 144w just ended up being more available and useable despite the lack of double needle.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:05 AM

There is a manual here that has some similar numbers, but not your particular treasure. Singer 112W110 Instructions For Using Manual (Page 5 of 16) | ManualsLib Welcome aboard
Old 04-20-2022, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
No info from me, but I just wanted to say, that it was a magnificent machine. Good luck on finding your information. I know your dad was proud of it.

Edited to add: Neat to find out that it is a machine that actually could be used to make boat or car custom covers. Or perhaps, those desert material patio covers. Years ago, a guy made us a complete set of folding tops (We had the rails) and side curtains complete with zippers to conver and protect the deck of a small vee hull off-shore boat. I bet he used a machine just like this one because he said his machine was very old. As far as I am concerned, it is a very neat find. It's probably a good thing I don't know where you live because I would be wanting to come see this machine.
Most upholstery places here use old Juki machines for heave duty fabrics. They aren't fancy but they seem to do a good job. I couldn't believe the machine the guy used to make custom upholstery for my husband's show car. But it worked fine!