Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any block recommendations for a pale baby quilt? >

Any block recommendations for a pale baby quilt?

Any block recommendations for a pale baby quilt?

Old 04-23-2022, 09:49 AM

Default Any block recommendations for a pale baby quilt?

I am making a friend a baby quilt and asked which colours she'd like and she said she liked pale green or pale pink or pale yellow. I tend to go for brights and a mix of fabrics but I just checked out our only quilt store to browse and they had 2 pale green (and wouldn't work on the same quilt), 3-4 pale pink and no yellow. Not of the fabrics were super interesting. I have a smidge of pale yellow in my stash - but no pink or green.

I feel like I'm going to have to pick one colour and mix with white but the only block that I think could work would be a pinwheel block and I was hoping for something more stunning? I want a block that I can leave 3-4 blocks white as I want to applique a yellow star in each, and a yellow moon with a sleeping sloth in one.

Any ideas for blocks that work with just one pale fabric with white? That's not too basic?

Old 04-23-2022, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

What about churn dash? You'd have those big centers to do your appliques on.
Old 04-23-2022, 10:22 AM

I know that what I am suggesting is not what mom ordered, but i love the Giraffes in a Row pattern especially if you know how many others are in the family. https://sewfreshquilts.com/product/g...tant-download/

Another that is just delightful is the Elephant quilt.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1182727...r_gallery-1-14

Hopefully you will get suggestions like you are asking for from someone who isn't in love with this two quilts.
Old 04-23-2022, 11:36 AM

I was in a similar situation with making one for my grandson - they wanted yellow and gray or a red, white & blue (patriotic?). I believe baby quilts should be bright - so I did a chevron with the blue and white (I found the fat quarters of the fabric line: To the Moon and Back.). The in the right hand lower quadrant I made a red heart with the variety of reds I had. It was inspired by one I found on the Accuquilt Website. The back was a blue flannel with stars and moons. My label said, "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, Do you know how loved you are?" I believe I found that on Designs by JuJu. I just couldn't do the yellow and gray - way too drab. And I felt my Chevron had the right colors for the Patriotic idea - but conveyed my adoration for my grandbaby. He the first and may be my only grandbaby so I am just over the moon having him in our lives.
Old 04-23-2022, 02:42 PM

Well this might fall under the category of "too basic", but I'll suggest it anyway. 😊 I used a Missouri Star tutorial called Charm Quilt On Point. I loved making it, it was simple and easy (perfect project for a retreat . I added the giant rick rack on the border seam as I quilted it. I think if you added some low-volume prints, you'd add interest while keeping it pale.

Missouri Star tutorial is here.

And then, because I couldn't resist, I made a matching bunny with his own identical (but smaller) quilt, all from the leftover fabrics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bunny quilt.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	979.6 KB
ID:	639099   Click image for larger version

Name:	bunny and quilt.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1,002.5 KB
ID:	639100  
Old 04-23-2022, 03:24 PM

When my nephew and his wife had their second baby, they didn't know the sex beforehand, so I made an Irish chain using pink, blue, and white batiks.

Name:	DSCN6597a.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	639101  
Old 04-24-2022, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
What about churn dash? You'd have those big centers to do your appliques on.

My thought exactly. The first block that came to mind was Churn Dash. Solidly traditional but can be dressed up or down to fit the moment. If you are really like the pinwheel, you could make the center of the churn a pinwheel!
Old 04-24-2022, 05:36 AM

Peckish, your baby quilt is just precious. I especially like the giant rickrack, as it has the "grabability" of prairie points but safer. Is the rickrack hard to find?

hugs,
charlotte
Old 04-24-2022, 06:36 AM

I recently made Amy Smart’s Economy Block quilt for I friends baby using a pack of 10” stackers. I did go into my stash a bit by choice to get better variety and because I wasted a bit fussy cutting but think a 10” stacker could do the whole quilt.

https://www.diaryofaquilter.com/tag/economy-blocks/

Here is what I did........

Name:	67BE79B0-888E-49D9-973C-26ABD4AD1129.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	639106  
Old 04-24-2022, 08:07 AM

Interesting that you recommended the elephant one! I'm 7 months pregnant and my due date is one day before hers and I'm making an elephant one - I almost picked that one too. I'm doing the one where the elephant is trumpeting hearts